laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.

Norcent

Banned
Do laptops have cmos batteries or is the bios stored on a separte partition on the main battery?

Laptops have a CMOS battery, just like all motherboards do. If you want to clear CMOS, you'd have to remove the main battery as well as the CMOS battery, however.

I didn't see a cmos battery or a battery socket on my laptop. The bios keeps on clearing and the main battery is shot.

It's usually under the expansion bay cover on your laptop (where your wireless card is installed). If it's not accessible there, then it's under your keyboard.

yeah duh dude. Trust me I will get more then what i paid for it. I almost had to go to the hospital for stitches cause I was trying to take appart the laptop battery which of course Alienware had to glue it so I was using a pocket knife and it closed on its self and my hand was in the way.

we told ya dude...... And why would you open the sealed battery case? There really isn't anything you can do with it.

Anyway. Try emailing Alienware tech support or something, they might be one of the few companies to help out these days... maybe.

You can get CMOS batteries for your laptop online, just google it. I was recently looking for a main battery for my ThinkPad A21p and a lot of CMOS batteries showed up in my search. On my laptop, the battery appears to be a button cell in shrink wrap with a mini plug with a cord for easy connection to the board, as opposed to just a plain button battery.

There is actually something I could do if I could get the **** battery opene. I could replace the battery cells and make it work. Also I did search for my laptop's cmos battery and nothing was found on google. I think there is a partition on the main battery that holds the bios data.

I think there is a partition on the main battery that holds the bios data.

yeah, you think that, even though we just told you otherwise. dude whats your problem? you post threads asking for help on everything, and when experienced people respond with a solution, you just ignore them. you seem to think you know the answer before even posting.

The bios is stored on a tiny flash memory in your motherboard which is kept alive with the cmos battery. removing the battery for a minute will discharge all electricity in the flash, wiping the bios clean. ALL motherboards have that type of bios storage. just because you cant find it, doesnt mean its not there. try phoning alienware and asking where it is.

and dude, your a moron for trying to open up a battery with a pocket knife. what were you gonna do if you had gotten it open? if a battery is dead, its dead. end of story.

and just to make this really obvious point clear: Batteries do not store data

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom