Labtop Processor Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cheeseking25

In Runtime
I'm looking into buying a labtop and I am not sure which processor I should get. It's down to the T7700 or T8300 (both Core 2 Duo). They both run at 2.4GHz but the T7700 has 4MB of L2 Cache vs the 3B in the T8300; however, the T8300 features Intel's new 45nm architecture while the T7700 utilizes the older 65nm architecture.

They both will cost me exactly the same so its down to 45nm vs. 1 extra MB of L2 cache. At this point I am leaning heavily towards the T8300 but I am wondering if there is any reason why I shouldn't get it over the 7700.

Go with the 45nm. The smaller architecture produces less heat. That is always good for a laptop.

its laptop

45nm is a good positive as it consumes less power and takes less heat, so you can have a larger battery life

Hi guys.
This is my first post, and didn't think it warranted a new thread as the OP has already started a simialr one. Hope I'm not stepping on anyone's toes!:eek:

Anyways, I'm in a very similar position. I have a laptop on order with the following specs:
T8300 2.4GHz3gb RAM
320gb HDD
256mb gfx
15.4" Screen @ 1280x800
6hr battery
8x cd/dvd rw

This machine is coming in at just over the €900 mark delivered, using all sorts of coupons.

I've come across another machine from the same manufacturer with a similar spec:
T7700 2.4GHz
4gb RAM
250gb HDD
256mb gfx
15.4" Screen @ 1680x1050
9hr battery
2x bd drive

This unit is coming in on a certain auction site at just under €520 delivered. Granted this price is liable to go up, but I can't see it reaching the same price as the first machine.
Surely the second machine is better value yeah?
It's gonna be used primarily as a desktop replacement. It won't be mobile much.
Thanks ahead of time guys.
Soarer.

No the 2nd machine is not worth more. The 45nm technology is hte newest and the best. Less heat and all that. It is worth more. All of the previous comments still stand. The 8300 is a better CPU.

Just because 45nm is "less" than 65nm doesn't mean its worse

45nm is actually better because it refers to the size of the die, that means its runs cooler and consumes less power, its the latest gen tech right now and its great for laptops

Thanks for the replies guys.

@ Mak: I'm wondering if the second machine listed is better value than the first? The first one has the newer processor, and a slightly bigger HDD. However, the second one has more ram, more pixels, bigger battery, and BluRay player/burner.
Considering it's over €300 less than the T8300 specced machine, would it be a better "value for money" machine?

@ vernong1992: Cheers for the info.

For the money. Yes it would be of more value. Personally i could care less about BluRay cause watching it on a 15" or 17" monitor is not my idea of HD. Battery is always a issue.

Teh RAM isnt really a issue. 3GB is plenty as it is. With a better CPU you off set the 1GB of RAM.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom