Kinda lost and need some advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

SuxoR

What choice did I have?..
I just started spring semester of college and wanted to buy a laptop for some time. The only problem is I'm on a limited budget and have to get books and supplies (which I have for the most part) and maybe help my mom out with some stuff.

I don't need the laptop really, it would mostly be for taking notes and assignments, doing homework, studying (I have three computer classes) and entertainment. Now should I get a laptop since it's not completely needed? I wanted to get speakers and have some money left for various stuff but if I get this laptop I might not be able to :/ since I have 900 bucks left :p

What do you guys think? I'd really like some opinions, and maybe some good choices? I don't know where to start. I've never used a netbook and I don't know if I'd like that small of a screen and keyboard, and in terms of gaming I play Warcraft 3, Starcraft, and Cod4 mostly but Warcraft 3 is the most important game :p

Any help is greatly appreciated and sorry for the wall of text

I woudl look at a Dell Vostro. They are not that bad in cost and could leave you with some money left over for some other things.

While the laptop is not necessary you know as well as many of us do that it will be helpful at times. If only to bring you some stress relief with some Cod4. ;)

The Dell Vostro 1310 would be a great laptop fore college and should also be able to run the games you mentioned. You can get one with these specs for $725

PROCESSOR Intel® Core™ 2 Duo T5670 (1.8GHz, 2MB L2 Cache, 800MHz FSB)
OPERATING SYSTEM Genuine Windows Vista Business
LCD PANEL 13.3 inch Widescreen XGA LCD Anti-Glare Display
MEMORY 2GB Shared Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 667MHz, 2 DIMM
OPTICAL DRIVE 8X DVD+/-RW with double-layer DVD+/-R write capability & Roxio
VIDEO CARD 128MB NVIDIA® GeForce™ 8400M GS
HARD DRIVE 250GB 5400RPM SATA Hard Drive
WI-FI WIRELESS CARD Dell Wireless 1395 802.11g Wi-Fi Internal Card
BATTERIES 9-cell Lithium Ion Primary Battery

The Dell Online Store: Build Your System

Check what I suggested to another guy.
http://www.techist.com/forums/f84/new-laptop-advice-200521/

Basically, it sounds to me like you could get by without one, and with the costs of tuition, books, and the fact that you stated you will be helping out your family, you might want to wait. While I don't regret buying my laptop, if I knew then what I know know about them, I probably wouldn't have purchased it. It is your money and you should do what you think will make you happy.
-Pure

Thanks for all the help guys

hopefully I will be getting one soon! Money doesn't look as tight :*]

Vote is on vostro, I have the older 1500 with the 8600, even though its no longer an option i have had no issues except with some screws holding the screen to the chassis... So if that does happen to you, you can fallow my crappy tutorial on here...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom