The kido dropped the laptop - HDD issues, i think
So my old Compaq that has been a real trooper has finally had a drop it couldn't recover from. The kid was jumping on the sofas and it took a tumble off the back. At first I thought the problem was the cpu, it was a very loud whirling noise, took the back covers off, did a cleaning, removed the beach ball size fur/dust ball and replaced the cpu with some mx-2. figured I had it solved. Powered up and no whirling....for 30 seconds, then it started again, this time I was a little smarter and stuck the thing to my ear. I pinpointed that the whirling and slight clicking (even patterned) was coming from the hard drive. Anyways, here are the symptoms:
- worked after the drop for about 30 minutes, then applications started to slow down and eventually hung (about a 2 minute span)
- very loud whirling noise, similar to loud dvd reader
- patterned clicking
- will not boot, either hangs in the Windows startup menu or nothing at all beyond mobo bios screen
- random BSOD during windows loading (once only)
- won't boot in safe mode, freezes part way through driver listing
I'm going to pick up an external 2.5" hdd reader tomorrow to test it out...normally i would just buy a new hdd but the kicker in all this is that my final assignment, for the final class of my masters of science is on this laptop and hasn't been backed up on the network for a few days (networking issues) and i'd prefer not to spend the next week re-doing what has already been done. Especially trying to re-find my sources.
Any other suggestions?