Just a general question?? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Laptops and Notebooks
Closed Thread
Old 09-25-2011, 11:31 AM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default Just a general question??

I am new to these forums, but have a question that I felt could best be answered here, if it is even possible. I am not very tech savvy but can handle my own so to speak, so here is the question:

I am currently in Frankfurt, Germany for 6 months, I have my laptop with me; however there is a game that I play in particular with my son and I am having a very hard time accessing the server, I currently have a support ticket open with them, the game is Warcraft. If it is determined that I cannot access the servers from this hotel, is it possible somehow for me to access my desktop from here and then run the game from my desktop, but do the controls and everything from my laptop here? Im not sure if Pcanywhere or something like that will do that. Thanks in advance.

Old 09-25-2011, 09:19 PM   #2 (permalink)
The Almighty Forensica
Default Re: Just a general question??

You would be able to do what you describe, however without a fantastic connection both where you're remoting in from (the hotel) and where the desktop is (home, presumably), then there will be a considerable delay between your actions and the response of those actions back from the game.

TLDR: It would be way too laggy.

Desktop i5-4440 - ASRock Z77 Extreme4 - EVGA GTX970 - 4x4GB 1600MHz - Samsung 850 EVO 250GB - Be Silent Base 800 - 3TB+1TB+640GB
Laptop i7-3740QM @ 2.7GHz, 2x4GB 1600Mhz, GT640M, OCZ Agility 3 120GB
Smartphone HTC One M8 - Sense 7 - 6.0

Uni MSci Ethical Hacking, Coventry University
Work Trainee Cell Site Analyst
LinkedIn Kiera Mitchell
Old 09-26-2011, 07:35 AM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default Re: Just a general question??

Both sites have a good broadband connection. Both computers are very high end computers. I think I have determined that the problem I am currently having is that the hotel itself is locking the port that I need to establish the communication with the Blizzard servers, everything else is running just fine: internet, video chat, etc... all runs fast and smooth. Now if the game would run but with a little lag that may be something that I can deal with, there are things I could do that would not be all that intensive. So how would I go about doing that, just to test a see how well it works?
Closed Thread