January Sales- Best Laptop Deal? (Examples Inside- also post your own) - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Laptops and Notebooks
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 01-07-2009, 02:16 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default January Sales- Best Laptop Deal? (Examples Inside- also post your own)

I've been biding my time for the UK January sales (we all know we're ripped off at Xmas), and the laptop that seems the best value for money is this:

HP G70-120EA with blu-ray drive: £469- PC WORLD

Intel Core 2 Duo T5800 Processor (2GHZ, 800MHz FSB, 2MB Cache)
Genuine Windows Vista(R) Home Premium
3GB Memory
160GB Hard Drive
17" Widescreen Display
Blu-ray with DVD
ReWriter Nvidia Graphics 9200 (256MB dedicated)
Wireless Enabled
Built in Webcam

It's got a WXGA high-def screen for the blu-ray, 3gb memory (can this be upped to 4gb if I wanted to?), 2ghz is a good speed I think.

Will this run smoothly and quickly? That's what I want from the laptop. I want good quality screen and images, want the internet to run quickly, and want to play music (although I'll be getting external speakers).

Anyone know if I can use the blu-ray drive to play dvd's through my TV??

Please post any other good deals you've seen, any help will be greatly appreciated.

Old 01-07-2009, 02:50 PM   #2 (permalink)
Patron

Default Re: January Sales- Best Laptop Deal? (Examples Inside- also post your own)

It can be upped to 4gb if you wanted to however your OS would limit you to 3gb anyway as its 32bit I would assume so you would need to buy a 32 bit upgrade cd or borrow a friends and reuse the serial. Iam unsure whether OEM serials are attachted MAK the windows guru is just looking it up in this thread
Is this a legal work around?

Do you want to run this as an actual portable laptop as screen size has a major impact on battery life.

Depends on the tv I would assume the laptop to have vga out port which you can then use an adapter to component (majority of tvs accept) or a vga socket on the back of your tv.

I would check on dabs.com or ebuyer.co.uk for alternatives. Dabs didn't have anything particuarly special for laptops in there newsletter which I got earlier, although they do have some nice tv offers.

Old 01-07-2009, 05:06 PM   #3 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Default Re: January Sales- Best Laptop Deal? (Examples Inside- also post your own)

Don't by from PCworld they are rip off's, also they might not be around for much longer.

Want to do even more? Take a look here and join the fight on human trafficking.

Hear and you forget, see and you remember, do and you understand.

Old 01-08-2009, 10:58 PM   #4 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saxon View Post
Don't by from PCworld they are rip off's, also they might not be around for much longer.
why? are they in some sort of financial difficulties?
Old 01-08-2009, 11:16 PM   #5 (permalink)
Call me Mak or K
Mod Emeritus

They went to online only distribution. Which has upset a lot of people that they wont get a physical copy anymore. Pay a subscription for a digital magazine is not what people want from places like that.

Phone: LG Optimus G Pro
Running: Stock JB from LG with Nova Launcher

Old 01-08-2009, 11:19 PM   #6 (permalink)
TF's First Dry Ice User!

they are talking about a different PCWorld. It's a magazine in the states, but a shop in the uk from what i gather. but yeah financial difficulties as most retail chains are experiencing.
A notice to EVERYONE who has posted here with a computer problem, I highly encourage you to keep current with the forums, even if it's browsing for 10-15 minutes during lunch, or before you go to bed at night. There are many things that you can learn and apply to future issues. My goal is to help people get to a point where they can use their own knowledge to help themselves, and others.

Also please use the search button. You've got a 50/50 chance that someone's asked your question and we've answered it.
Old 01-08-2009, 11:34 PM   #7 (permalink)
Call me Mak or K
Mod Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter.Cort View Post
they are talking about a different PCWorld. It's a magazine in the states, but a shop in the uk from what i gather. but yeah financial difficulties as most retail chains are experiencing.
I forgot that PCWorld is a actual store in the UK...

Phone: LG Optimus G Pro
Running: Stock JB from LG with Nova Launcher

Old 01-09-2009, 02:18 AM   #8 (permalink)
Patron

Yeah Pcworld is having troubles as woolworths which is a major brand here just went belluies up aswell as habitat which is giant furniture/ home depot chain. Woolworths is in a coalition of stores and with its closure the coalition is struggling which means many of the big UK retailers might not be here in a years time.