Intel core 2 duo vs other processors - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Laptops and Notebooks
Closed Thread
Old 05-18-2010, 01:55 AM   #1 (permalink)
True Techie
Default Intel core 2 duo vs other processors

Can someone please describe to me what is the difference between this processor and the other i3/i5 i7 processors, because i still see most laptops with the intel core 2 duo.

Old 05-18-2010, 02:09 AM   #2 (permalink)
Default Re: Intel core 2 duo vs other processors

The Core 2 Duo is an older model Intel processor that is dual core. Dual core means the chip contains two processors in one package, so it can process two different things at once. The newer i5/i7 line of processors are quad core which means the chips each have four processors in one package allowing it to process four things at once. The i7 line also features a hardware optimization called Hyper Threading, which makes each processor able to manage two threads at once, and thus each processor shows up as two processors to the OS, for a combined total of 8 cores shown to the OS.

The new Core i series also incorporates the memory controller directly into the CPU. Previous chips put the memory controller in the northbridge chip (part of the motherboard's chipset) which meant that the CPU communicated through the northbridge for every memory operation. The Core i series have integrated memory controllers for DDR3 RAM which provides much faster memory access and memory bandwidth.

As with any newer CPU, the first models are sold individually for desktop builders who want the latest and greatest chips. Eventually OEMs like HP and Dell pick up the series on their desktop lines and later Intel releases smaller, more efficient mobile versions designed for laptops. The i7 has been popular in the desktop market for a while now but it is fairly new for laptops to use the Core i series chips, especially the powerful i7.

Old 05-18-2010, 04:09 AM   #3 (permalink)
Master Techie
Default Re: Intel core 2 duo vs other processors

the core i series just came out for laptops a little over a month and a half ago, so manufacturers are still figuring out how to build laptops with these in them. give it time and you will see them more and more at cheaper prices.
Modded Raidmax Hyperion Case
MSI Z97M Gaming
16gigs Corsair Vengeance 1866mhz
SLI GTX 980s
Samsung 830 Series 128gig SSD
EVGA G2 850W power supply
2x Alphacool ST30 240mm, 1x Alphacool ST30 120mm, swiftech Micro res, Enzotech Rev A. CPU water block, Full Coverage EKWB GPU blocks, modded Vari MCP655 pump
LG 34UM95 21:9 Ultrawide 3440x1440 monitor
Closed Thread