installing ram?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sdredger

Solid State Member
i have been having endless snags with trying to upgrade my lpatops memory.
i am upgrading ram, i have checked with crucial/mr memory/ pc wizard/ belarc etc and they all say i have 2 sockets (1 empty)
i have asked around and this is apparantly under my keyboard,
i need to remove my keyboard...
my system is an ei system 1211
i have found the chasis number to be:
U40SI1 chassis 13.3" screen. (if this helps)

along the top between the keyboard function keys and the laptop itself, there are 4 push clips, with an additional one on either side of keyboard( next to Caps Lock and PgDn)
after pushing these with a flat head, the keyboard is slightly raised but still stuck down...
there are several screws on the base of the laptop, however none are labeled (apparantly they usually lable it KB)
i have unscrewed 4 of the screws on base that look like they might be in the right place, but still the keyboard is not free. i'm scared to be to rough with it as dont want to break it.

hope i have given enough info to help you to help me, if you need anything else just ask

I've never come across a laptop where there you have to remove the keyboard to upgrade the ram.

Usually there's a panel on the underneath you unscrew & it reveals the laptops memory slots. I've googled about & can only come across images from cheap deals.

I wouldnt force the issue or you could end up breaking it. The normal laptop motherboard faces down not up as thats the only way the cpu can be placed so it can corrected vent out its heat otherwise the heat would rise into your keyboard/screen.

I would check the common place first before going into the keyboard side.

It's tough to know what screws to take out if they're unlabelled and there's no service manual. Sometimes there's one screw in the center of the bottom of the laptop that goes straight up...

Most often there is a memory slot on the bottom of the laptop, sometimes, however, there IS a second one under the keyboard. Memory here is sometimes easy to install, other times it's soldered on and can't really be changed.

My advice would be to carefully remove all of the screws on the bottom, then the laptop's keyboard should be free. It won't "fall aprt" on you or anything as long as you're careful and you can easily put the screws back in if you're having any trouble.

Have you tried googling up a service manual for your make/model?

i have googled and there is no info online. the only manuals i got when i bought it from pc world where vista and office guides :(

I've never heard of EI until now...it must be one of the most poorly documented brands out there; I can't even find a website for it. I do have a support page here:

http://support.thetechguys.com/layo...}&CatID={71b64b81-41ba-4b34-aaa5-7ffaaad40e32}

It has most of the downloads and some manuals but they're just generic Vista ones so they're aren't any help to us. Unfortunately I don't think we're going to find any guides for this so if you want to remove that keyboard you'll have to be willing to experiment.

spoke to the tech guys at pc world, they said there is no point upgrading as the processor is rubbish an it wouldnt make a difference to my system..

is this true?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom