Installing new OS on Fujitsu Lifebook B3020D

Status
Not open for further replies.
I tried again twice last night, it hangs a little on the load screen, then passes it and enter what would be the desktop screen, except theres nothin there but the cursor, and when i try to move the cursor it lags for several seconds, then goes flyin off in some random direction (could be the direction i tried to move it, its hard to tell) maybe things would be different if i actually made the install, but i cant do that til friday.

I know the flash drive works, because im using the try ubuntu feature right now on a desktop, and typing this in firefox. I checked in the actual "about ubuntu" help window, and it says i need at least 128mb ram, which i have.
I dunno, but i suppose ill try to install it and see if its functional, if not i can scale back to a more minimal os, right?

For a system like that XP will not serve you well. If you think Ubuntu was choppy, XP will be just as well. You will need DSL or Puppy Linux for a machine that old.

You do NOT want to install any version of Windows prior to XP. Simply put no updates have been done to it so the machine could easily be taken over by at least 1000 different flaws.

Okay, so which one would you recomment? And since they are both linux distributions, i should still be able to use Unetbootin to make the flash drive again right?
BTW, i tried actually installing ubuntu and it froze still, but this time i actually saw the heron...

Upon lookin into it, i have decided on DSL, it sounds more efficient to me. But if you have an opinion either way, id still like to hear.

Unetbootin works on anything, not just Linux distros.

I've used both before. Puppy is more eye-candy than DSL. Look up screenshots on their sites.

Edit: DSL is very minimal, of its desktop.

Now that I think of it, you could use Crunchbang, too. It's a Ubuntu core that got all the extra crap taken out.

OKay, so i think i might know why none of this is working.... this laptop has something call Safeguard Easy v4.30.1, apparently its a data encryption program... anyway i can get rid of that? Im gonna try just removing the hard drive and see if i can run DSL from the flash drive, because its not working now

Okay, i disconnected the hard drive, and still, when i try to boot with DSL, it says "xauth: creating new authority file /home/dsl/.Xauthority" then "giving up" and "xinit: No such file or directory (errno 2): unable to connect to x server"
and "xinit: no such process (errno3): server error"
WTF?! this is frustrating!

OKAY! So i got lucid puppy to work without the hard drive attached. Now im gonna reattach the hard drive, see if it works, and im downloading crunchbang, and im gonna see if it will work. If so, ill probably use crunchbang. Wish me luck!

Crunchbang works as well! Thanks for all your help. Im gonna wipe the hard drive, then install either puppy or crunchbang, im still deciding which one i like better. I wish i had two flash drives!

I used unetbootin to put DBAN on the flashdrive, but when i try any of the options it says "could not find ramdisk image /ubninit". WTF?

I got the hard drive wiped, but when i try to install crunchbang, the bootloaders (both grub and lilo) fail to install, and the puppy install seems to go well until i try to boot, then it says kernel panic. Im not as good with computers as id like to be, but i try to figure stuff out and learn, but jesus christ this is ****in me off!

AHAHAHA! I have successfully installed puppy linux on the laptop. It works and boots just fine. Now i have to see if i can use the touchscreen, but to me thats more of a novelty than anything else. Thanks for all your help, if it wasnt for you dudes i never would have gotten this done! Merry Christmas!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom