Installed new memory, now won't boot. Help please?!! - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Laptops and Notebooks
Closed Thread
Old 12-30-2011, 07:35 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default Installed new memory, now won't boot. Help please?!!

For Christmas, I decided to get my brother some more memory for his laptop (Toshiba Satellite L355D-S7825). He had 3GB installed (occupying both slots) so I decided to get another 2GB (Kingston ValueRAM 2 GB 667MHz DDR2) to replace the 1GB which would give him the 4GB. I removed the 1GB module and replaced it with the new 2GB module. I then started it back up and it booted up for about 10-15 secs. and then the screen froze up (never fully booted to Windows) and I couldn't do nothing with it, even when trying to push the power button to manually turn it off. So, I had to unplug it and remove the battery to get it turn off. Once I reinserted the battery & plugged in the AC adapter, I went to turn it on and the power light comes on but it doesn't do anything else. It does make a sound (seems to come from right rear of laptop) for about 1-2 secs. likes its going to boot but nothing happens. I tried putting the old memory back in and got the same thing. I bought two brand new 2GB modules, thinking maybe the 2GB I initially bought was defective, and got the same thing. I have tried putting only 1 module in at a time, doing so for each slot, and got the same thing. So right now I'm stuck and out of ideas. Like I said, the AC adapter light, battery light and power light will come on as well as the fan will work and DVD drive but it will not boot up. My next option is to take the laptop completely apart and disconnect/reconnect everything. Does anyone else have any other suggestions/tips/ideas? Thank you!

Old 12-30-2011, 07:42 PM   #2 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description
Send a message via MSN to MindoverMaster
Default Re: Installed new memory, now won't boot. Help please?!!

Try resetting BIOS. Must've had a scare attack. If you can locate the CMOS battery, remove it for a few minutes, and reinsert.
__________________ Steam Account
Closed Thread