Inspiron 1525

Status
Not open for further replies.

bloodzero

Solid State Member
UPDATE: Inspiron 1545, not 1525.

1) I know it's not possible to upgrade the Video Card on these Laptops after they are shipped, but I was wondering if I could swap out the Motherboard with a motherboard from an upgraded Inspiron 1525. I really want to be able to watch Blu-Ray movies on my laptop.

2) Optical drive. Is it possible to put in a blu-ray player optical drive into this laptop? I'm not familiar with the building of laptops at all and don't know how interchangeable some of the parts are.

3) SSD. What are my options in changing out the HD to be a SSD? Is there a specific size I need to find?

1. No. An updated board may be of a different shape.

2. In the olden days, yes, these days, I'm not sure. Call up Dell, and see if it is possible.

3. You need a 2.5" disk. I'm not sure if they are made for laptops.

The holes that secure it to the case may not line up.

If you are not familiar with laptops, I would advise against it. You could easily break it.

UPDATE: Inspiron 1545, not 1525.

1) I know it's not possible to upgrade the Video Card on these Laptops after they are shipped, but I was wondering if I could swap out the Motherboard with a motherboard from an upgraded Inspiron 1525. I really want to be able to watch Blu-Ray movies on my laptop.

2) Optical drive. Is it possible to put in a blu-ray player optical drive into this laptop? I'm not familiar with the building of laptops at all and don't know how interchangeable some of the parts are.

3) SSD. What are my options in changing out the HD to be a SSD? Is there a specific size I need to find?
1. unless you are replacing it with the EXACT same mobo then no. The secure points might not line up like MoM said. Along with that your changing the hardware of a OEM machine which would mean a new license of Windows to operate the machine.

2. Only if you can find a Blu-Ray drive that will fit a laptop and is the dimensions you need.

3.. Again if you can find a SSD that is of decent size that is 2.5" to fit in the same spot as your current HDD. But truth be told, it isnt going to be worth it. You are going to lose massive amounts of space to go SSD. Unless you dont care about the space.

What do you mean it could be of a different shape?

Also, if I upgrade the CPU, how complicated is this process?

You cant upgrade the CPU. Not unless you get one that can worth with your current mother board. If you have to swap out mother boards, the process is only the start of your worries as you will have to buy another copy of Windows to run it.

http://www.techist.com/forums/f9/differences-between-oem-retail-171393/#post1349335

You have a OEM version installed now that came with the machine. Switching out the mother board is equal to building a new machine in Microsoft's eyes and will not allow you to use your current copy of Windows.

Microsoft: Upgraded Motherboard = New Windows Licence - Aviran's Place

So you have more to worry about than just the whole can it be done aspect.

I'm familiar with desktop computers, just never really took apart a laptop to upgrade it. Is installing the CPU similar to doing it on a desktop?

I found this motherboard and it fits directly with my current motherboard (screws line up). Would that make it possible to swap motherboards and use the other one?

My Motherboard: G849F
Swap: H314N

The OS isn't an issue with me. I have another copy of W7. Neither is space with an SSD. I was looking at the SSD's because I love how fast they boot up and heard they use less power. Which is a definite plus for a laptop. I'd only get a 64 GB SSD. Only really need it for OS/APPS/10ish GB music.

I already know the CPU is compatible with the motherboard. Going to upgrade to the P8700.

It is a totally different beast than doing a desktop. You have to disassemble the entire unit basically to do what you want. If you dont take good notes or remember what you did, you wont get it back together and operational again. Not to mention that the keyboard and monitor cables are just thin strips that can be easily damaged, cut or broken adds to the frustration.

So if the mobo lines up and you can verify that, it should work no problem. But as i have already said, you will need to buy a new copy of Windows.

Well, let's say I record a video of me disassembling the computer. Would that be ideal for taking it apart? Cause the upgrades are something I definitely want to do. And I'd love to learn about laptops in the process. Gotta start somewhere right?

I'm also sure there might be some good manuals/guides on taking apart my specific laptop. So I think some good internet research will help. Not gonna dive into this project unprepared!

I would definitely make sure to check for guides, tutorials and such on places like YouTube and that. Along with reading what you can about it. My first experience with a laptop was working on someone else's to replace a hard drive. I didnt realize how much actually went into it. I took well over 150 pictures of everything. From where each screw was removed from to labeling each screw to know where it went back to.

I documented everything on paper and on my camera. Just so i could show them the condition and verify that i didnt screw it up on them. nothing happened thank goodness as i reinstalled Windows and away they went with no problems. But i made sure to take extra precaution to work on a laptop as it is totally opposite than a desktop.

If you do your research and document what you do, you should be fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom