IBM R40 booting to HD problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaPurpleRT

Baseband Member
I bought a used R40 that was lacking a HDD, so I bought an 80 gig IBM one from ebay. Popped in and a windows xp cd in. XP detects the hdd, formats it, copies files, then reboots pc..... but it goes right back into setup. It refuses to boot off the hard drive alone if I take the CD out, says "operating system not found" even though I watched it copy all the setup files to the HD.... Ideas??

Hello,

It has not finished the setup. There are 2 steps in the setup. The first is to copy the files over then it goes to the 2nd step after it reboots to finish the install. Let it finish!

Cheers,
Mak

Yes, the first step it boots from CD and copies files to the HDD, the second step it boots from the HDD and installs the files from there (though it might still need the CD, but it boots from HDD).

Go into BIOS and see if the HDD is detected, change boot order to allow it to boot from HDD.

A stuck keyboard key could cause windows setup to run repeatedly. But I can't see how that would keep windows setup from completing.

Yeah fellas, I've done this a couple times before. :) If I remove the cd or set ti to goto HD first it says "Operating SYstem not found" even though XP setup has copied all the files ove rand restarted the pc likes it suppose to.

Hello,

Please read my post again. There is a 2nd step to the install. Which still requires the CD. The setup is NOT complete after it restarts. Let it finish.

Cheers,
Mak

Yes, I've tried it with the cd still in, and tried letting it boot cd first, and hd first. HD first it says no op. system, cd first ti goes righ tback into the initital blue screen install and tries to copy the files again, keeps repeating that.... its like it doesnt write an MBR for the hd or something.

Thanks, Ryan

No, but I dont have any way to update them unless I get a USB floppy drive. Do you really think that bios from 2005 would cause it to do what it's doing?

Hello,

Yes a outdated BIOS can be a big problem. Some BIOS issues are the cause for Vista install issues. It might be worth it to try and update the BIOS.

Cheers,
Mak

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom