I really hate vista!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: I ***#*$*&#$%*(#$& hate vista!!!!!

Ever think your mouse may have moved slightly at night? I have noticed times when mine will move across the screen because of dust, that or some AV scans will initiate it to wake back up.

I don't have a mouse hooked up to it and my av scan isn't set to auto but something in the background could of done it. Just seems odd that it does it randomly so I just shut it down. But It's down for that count atm anyways >.>

CHange your power settings. YOu can manage just about every aspect of your power through the power management control panel.

One thing that I would check is your power settings for the lid open, and the lid closed. I've found that if I shut off my computer or put it in Standby/Hibernation (obviously expecting it to follow what i've told it to do), then close the lid it will STOP doing what it was doing and now do what the power setting says for closing the lid. Does that make sense?

I have the same power setting, hibernation when the lid is closed. So when I tell it to shut down, but then close the lid before it shuts down completely it will actually go into hibernation.

Just something to look at.

Luckily, x58 boards dont support vista sleep functions, so i just turn my rig off at night.

The standby is just fine in Vista. I used it for over a year on my Inspiron 1501 without fail ever. Even with SP1 Beta and SP2 Beta running on it.

If you have so much stuff installed that it takes longer to boot. Set that stuff to not turn on with the boot and start it up yourself.

There are some things that need to start with the PC for certain things to function (HP Touch Media Buttons, nVidia Control Panel, DigitalPersona fingerprint login, etc) though these all came with the PC...I don't have anything else set at startup and yet it still boots slowly. Normally I'd just wipe it and start over but as my main PC I have all sorts of stuff I use on it and would never remember everything, I'll look through my power management settings (done it a bunch of times before...still having issues). It can't be mouse moving since it's a laptop and it's closed, unless my trackpad is misreading for some reason (it doesn't jump around when it's on so I don't see why that would be).

It could also possibly be the QuickPlay buttons...HP's touch strip was a unique idea but that thing is way too sensitive sometimes and maybe could misfire and start the PC.

Would hibernation have anything to do with this? For instance, you have it set to hibernate after 5 hours. You put it in standby and throw it in a bag. You forget the bag in your room and you're gone all day. After 5 hours the PC wakes itself out of standby, saves RAM to hard drive, and completely powers off. Does this happen or does standby override hibernation times? A PC with a lot of RAM (my laptop has 3 gigs) could take a while to hibernate, and with the extremely limited cooling in a bag, it may be a bad idea to turn on the PC even for a short time.

I'm pretty sure I don't have that many start up programs enabled, I'll have to check it after I get it fixed.

I've never had vista wake up from sleep on its own. I used it at school for the past year and put it to sleep probably every day in class, multiple times. Did you ever think that maybe it's your hardware? Maybe the manufacturer messed up.

But now that I think about it, I have had problems with networking after resuming from sleep. The network adapter would refuse to take the ip address being given by the router. So maybe there is some merit to your post...

But regardless, sleep isn't that important. Just turn your laptop off. Problem solved.

Probably wants to use sleep because it is faster to load up Windows.

Calc are you positive it goes into Sleep/Hibernation before closing the lid? Are you on the right power plan when changing the advanced settings (i've changed the power settings before, wondered why it wasn't working, and realized I changed the 'power saver' plan and was using the 'balanced' plan)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom