I ordered my tablet!!! (some quick Q's if anyone knows A's)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gothch1ck

Daemon Poster
So I ordered a older model for it's abilities, it has what I need and nothing more then I need.. except 1 little thing.

HP Pavilion TX2500Z 12.1" Lightweight tablet Notebook PC

is it's listing. $300 for a HP Pavillion Tx2500z Touchscreen Tablet. (in case anyone else wants one/needs parts/whatever)

Listed as 2.4ghz dual core, 4GB ram, 320gb harddrive, so not too shabby there. The video is "lacking' for 'games' however I don't really plan to play games on mine.

The little bit is a motherboard thingy, the one listed says "no fingerprint reader" which got me wondering, does it mean "one not included" or does it mean the motherboard does not support it?

Ebay has the Tx2510us fingerprint reader for super cheap (like $6 no s/h)
and a new frame that has the cutout for the reader is around $30 (but only 1 auction up right now I found, so probably cheaper) to house it.

So my question is... does the Tx2500 motherboard have the spot to plug in a fingerprint reader? or do the motherboards differ? I think they are they same, but I wanted to be sure.

Also I was thinking of helping it stay cool (because it has a massive problem with GPU) with http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834981011 and possibly modifying it to replace the 1 fan with some smaller fans more directed at the GPU vent intake slot - or just a bigger, 110CFM fan (which would be better? A smaller fan directly centered over the small GPU vent, or a big fan over the whole thing with a higher CFM?)

Unless someone can link a better coolin pad for it, keeping in mind the "top right" of the pad is where the GPU will sit (with pad in operational position)

It means that there is no finger print reader included. You can always purchase a USB finger print reader, install the drivers and use it. There is no spot on any mother board to plug in any finger print reader. You wont be able to open up the tablet PC and install it internally. You will have to use a USB one. It wont have space in it design or construction to add it to the device as if it was there all along. You would have to hard mod the device to have something like that.

Umm excuse me?

you lost me at 'no motherboard has' it

Cuz.. look at the part - it clearly directly plugs into the motherboard/internals.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?VISuperSize&item=250861083486
http://cgi.ebay.com/HP-TX2000-TX250...486?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a687c5b5e

I guess we will find out if it ever arrives, still dont trust that site, especially since it goes offline a lot and I haven't been able to contact the seller.

If not I use paypal to get my money back and buy a different one on ebay. lol.

Even if it hasn't Black Screened I plan to open it up and remove the stupid thermal pad they use on the GPU and replace it with a solid copper shim and some good thermal compound to disappate heat way better.

And actually oddly enough looking closely it would plug in somewhere behind the LCD... cuz that's that sticky firm tape that is yellow around the wires and isn't long/big enough to fit around the framing.

I think it's gonna plug somewhere directly behind the LCD screen though, and then connect to the motherboard.

reason: the wires aren't long or at the right length of angle for it to be the LCD 'frame' lining to connect to anything else.

Actually K, i think youre wrong on this one. Some simple google searching suggests all the 2500s have the same mobos. So the connection should be there, though the service manual shows no way to get at it.

****, slow ninja'd

Just looked at some pics and yeah, looks like it'll plug into the screen somewhere since it's on the screen portion of the tablet.

Not really sure at this point if they're the same or not. You could do some more digging and see if those 2 models use the same model of screens, or try and find some service guides even.

Least you can't tell the girl she doesn't do her homework/research :p

What my plans are depends on the condition of the unit in question. If the site turns into a scam - Paypal refunds my money and I hit ebay for another model.

But here's the basics:
if the Tx25xx is "new" I plan to talk to HP about putting a warrenty on it, if they permit - which they probably won't, but it was a needed step in the plan.

If covered under warranty (doubtful) I do nothing those X years (as long as the warranty covers the exact problem of Overheating GPU)

If no warranty, or none to cover GPU - I plan to open the sucker up and resolve the matter at first glance.
Replacing the cheap thermal pad with a copper shim (just need to find the thickness that is appropriate, probably around 1mm) and using some good ol' arctic silver 5 thermal paste to replace stock on both GPU and CPU.

This should prevent overheating and the fatal problems the model has had for years (just like xbox360, in fact I think i might name the laptop "Iwantedtobeanxbox")

However I also plan to use a cooling pad (just cannot decide if 1 giant fan would be good or several smaller - location specific to the intake vents- fans would be better)

If temps still skyrocket - I plan to do some case modification to let more air in easier, or internal fan replacement to something with some higher CFM movement (even at the cost of battery life).

If all else fails I can think about re-designing the case and adding crazy stuff like better heat sinks/liquid cooling/whatever it takes, but I think I won't have to go that far.

Then there is the more complex method of having the onboard video chip replaced with a similar "socket" chip that runs cooler (IF one exists that is) while Iam at it I might look at the CPU chip as well and see what socket chips can fit in it for extra Oomph or cooler temps. (cooler temps being preferred, both being awesome)

So literally in the end this will be a cooled beast of it's kind.

What do you think?

Of course I am open to discussion of thermal compounds to use as well - I will actually require the best thermal compound I can get to help the heat dissapation of this crazy hot GPU.
I just happen to have leftover AC5 and I know it's "one of the best" although Shin-Etsu X23-7783D may have better temps, or even M-X 3

*UPDATE*
this movie
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0jVBJD2oiFE
shows screen replacement, and more importantly that the fingerprint reader actually plugs into a small chipboard behind the LCD itself. around 2:33 you'll see it.

I guess it comes down now to if the tx2500z has that chip board or not.

The repair is for "TX2500" series, but if that is the only thing that chipboard does - it may not be included in my model.

I am wondering though if the one I ordered just had its fingerprint reader removed? (if so... lolz. $6 replacement to get it going again)

Time for the Double Post (hey it's been like a day and I have new info)
The fingerprint scanner doo-hickey
HP TX2000 TX2500 Fingerprint Reader Board 3ntt8fb0002 - eBay (item 250861083486 end time Aug-23-11 12:38:37 PDT)

Connects behind the LCD to this doo-hickey:
HP Pavilion TX2000 TX2500 Interface Board 3UTT9DB0000 - eBay (item 250860802009 end time Aug-23-11 01:20:55 PDT)

Now I just gotta wait to see if the thing arrives from Japan/China/somewhere that apparently 2 days of emails and no replies is acceptable terms of service.

Got a bad feeling about this.
Like as in.. Paypal is gonna have to refund me and Iama have to hit ebay again and probably not find a good deal bad.

Tablet I ordered was from a Scam Site.

Yipee.

On the bright side, Paypal is refunding me, and I won a busted one on Ebay.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom