I need a new laptop - here is what I'm looking at: - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Laptops and Notebooks
Closed Thread
Old 03-18-2008, 12:23 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default I need a new laptop - here is what I'm looking at:

My Asus z9000 laptop (which I bought 4 years ago) has finally melted! One day the battery suddenly stopped holding a charge. The next day the power cord connection started being fickle in that it powers the laptop for a while then cuts out (and since my battery won't hold a charge that means it shuts off).

Double whammy!

So, I think it's time to look for a replacement since I can't find parts for this laptop. And, who knows, maybe the main board is the problem.

I am looking for a laptop that has a bit of power to it. I need portability, but only in the sense that I can move the thing around which is any laptop. A long battery life is a plus but, I generally plug in my laptop when I'm at home or at school so, it's not a huge concern.

I do some light gaming, and as such I like having a graphics card of some kind. I was using this laptop vga chart to determine which laptops had better video cards than others.

Also, the general consensus on the internet is that this T8100 intel core 2 duo processor is decent.

I'm not too familiar with the durability of Acer, their noise level, or their running temperature and susceptibility to overheating but, I have noticed their cases are a little bulkier than most. Nevertheless, 6.6 pounds is only .1 pound heavier than my Z9000 and I can handle that.

Here's the laptop listing at the store I am considering purchasing it from
Here's more information on it

Any insight will be helpful! $1250 is the final price after tax and that's the limit of my budget. I can't afford to make a mistake!

Old 03-21-2008, 07:35 AM   #2 (permalink)
There and Back again
Default Re: I need a new laptop - here is what I'm looking at:

The Dell Online Store: Build Your System

If you do some upgrades to it, you can have a decent laptop AND game I upgraded the CPU, graphics, and screen and it came to just under 1K... might be worth a shot to look

Dell 4K S2817Q / Logitech Z-680 / Func MS3 Mouse / Corsair K70
NZXT Source 530 / i7-3770K / Corsair H100 / ASRock Z77 Extreme4 / SoundBlaster Recon3d
Samsung 850 PRO 512GB SSD/Seagate 1TB/2TB/WD 2TB
4x4GB Corsair Vengeance 2133 / PNY GTX 980 ti/ Seasonic M12II 850W
Old 03-21-2008, 12:06 PM   #3 (permalink)
Master Techie

About your Asus z9000 laptop laptop, does it work fine if you remove the battery and turn it on with just the power adapter plugged in?

If it does, then all that's required is a new battery.

|Desktop PC| |Macbook Air 13" (Mid 2013)|
|Windows 8.1 Pro (x64)| |AMD FX 4100 Black Edition 3.6 GHz @ 4.0 GHz OC| |Arctic Cooling Freezer 13 PRO| |Gigabyte Nvidia GeForce GTX 560 Super Overclock 1GB| |ASUS M5A78L-M/USB3 Motherboard| |Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD SATA III HDD| |Kingston HyperX 8GB PC3-14900 DDR3-1866| |OCZ ModXStream Pro 700W Modular PSU| |NZXT Vulcan Micro ATX Case|
Old 03-24-2008, 07:32 PM   #4 (permalink)
True Techie

I just got a acer aspire 4520 its very quiet except when reading a cd, the drive is pretty darn loud.
Old 03-24-2008, 07:38 PM   #5 (permalink)
TF's First Dry Ice User!

i actually really like acer's, some things annoy me about them but just cause most of the time when i see them their broken and coming into the shop for repair. but thats a pretty good setup, and if its a price you're willing to pay then go ahead and get it, although i would say shop around a bit more first, try and customize some, also huge thing with laptops, go to your local best buy/circuit city and try a coupe different models out just to get a feel for the keys and the look of the thing. that will give you a good idea if you will like to carry it around and use it a lot.
A notice to EVERYONE who has posted here with a computer problem, I highly encourage you to keep current with the forums, even if it's browsing for 10-15 minutes during lunch, or before you go to bed at night. There are many things that you can learn and apply to future issues. My goal is to help people get to a point where they can use their own knowledge to help themselves, and others.

Also please use the search button. You've got a 50/50 chance that someone's asked your question and we've answered it.
Old 09-21-2008, 12:26 PM   #6 (permalink)
True Techie

hey dude,i just got that same laptop.it's awesome,so get.
and if you go online a check out some of the reviews for it you'll see a couple that say that the acer 5920 has big problems but mines perfectly awesome

Closed Thread