I just had a thought - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Laptops and Notebooks
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 01-25-2010, 09:51 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Question I just had a thought

Ok, just a heads up this post is assuming a lot of things about macs.
first, lets say that mac hardware does contain a bios chip socket that is currently running the EFI boot system.
Second. Lets say that you swapped the EFI Chip for a BIOS chip.
Third, Most of the components of the iMac are mobile components.
So here is the question, why couldn't you put the power of an imac, into a laptop assuming the above are true?

Old 01-26-2010, 04:21 PM   #2 (permalink)
Master Techie

Default Re: I just had a thought

Hi,

The ambiguity is confusing me a bit
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokesomi View Post
...So here is the question, why couldn't you put the power of an imac, into a laptop assuming the above are true?
By 'power of an imac', are you referring to OS X? In other words, are you talking about putting OS X on a laptop...?

|Gaming PC| |Dell Latitude E7250| |Macbook Air 13" (Mid 2013)|
|Windows 10 Pro (x64)| |Intel Core i5-6600 @ 3.3 GHz| |MSI NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Gaming X| |Noctua NH-D15S CPU Cooler| |Gigabyte GA-Z170MX-GAMING 5 mATX Motherboard| |Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD| |Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4-SDRAM| |OCZ ModXStream Pro 700W Modular PSU| |NZXT Vulcan Micro ATX Case|
Old 01-26-2010, 04:51 PM   #3 (permalink)
Lady Techie

Yah, cos 'power of an imac' means 'power of a decent laptop'.

LinkedIn Kiera Mitchell
Old 01-26-2010, 04:51 PM   #4 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alvin.C View Post
Hi,

The ambiguity is confusing me a bit

By 'power of an imac', are you referring to OS X? In other words, are you talking about putting OS X on a laptop...?
what i ment was taking the componants of the iMac and Literally using the same hardware for just windows, assuming that all of the above mentioned thoughts were true minus the ginormous screen of course
Old 01-26-2010, 05:06 PM   #5 (permalink)
Master Techie

Hi,

Like for like, the internal hardware of a Mac isn't superior to that of a PC. Well, some might argue that the trackpad and keyboard are better (in terms of quality) on a Mac compared to most other laptops, but this isn't specific to Macs. For example, you could argue that the keyboard on a Thinkpad's T410 is better than most laptops.

The power of a Mac isn't arguably the hardware per se. It's the software (i.e. Mac OS X). Mac OS X is the heart and soul of a Mac. A Mac isn't a Mac without OS X.

Lastly, if it were at all possible, it wouldn't make sense. It would be more viable to just buy a Mac, then install and use Windows as the primary operating system. But again, even this is senseless, because you'd be 'erasing' the main purpose of getting a Mac in the first place (unless of course you'd be buying a Mac purely for aesthetic reasons).

|Gaming PC| |Dell Latitude E7250| |Macbook Air 13" (Mid 2013)|
|Windows 10 Pro (x64)| |Intel Core i5-6600 @ 3.3 GHz| |MSI NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Gaming X| |Noctua NH-D15S CPU Cooler| |Gigabyte GA-Z170MX-GAMING 5 mATX Motherboard| |Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD| |Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4-SDRAM| |OCZ ModXStream Pro 700W Modular PSU| |NZXT Vulcan Micro ATX Case|
Old 01-26-2010, 08:24 PM   #6 (permalink)
Call me Mak or K
Mod Emeritus

I would have to agree with Alvin on this. The thing is that you can get a laptop running Windows already, which could contain better specs hardware wise, for less or about the same as it would cost you for a Mac. So at that point your paying more money for a lesser PC to run Windows. Why would you want to do that?

Not to mention that with the latest version of OS X you can use boot camp and dual boot with Windows. So you could have the best of both worlds. So really the question comes down to is why would you want to do this? You would spend more money to run Windows than needed.

Also this is assuming you have a iMac that is already using the Intel based processors. As you couldnt use a older iMac which has a PowerPC chip in it and install Windows. Windows is not compatible with that type of processor.

Phone: LG Optimus G Pro
Running: Stock JB from LG with Nova Launcher

Old 01-27-2010, 01:22 AM   #7 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mak213 View Post
Also this is assuming you have a iMac that is already using the Intel based processors. As you couldnt use a older iMac which has a PowerPC chip in it and install Windows. Windows is not compatible with that type of processor.
Yes i do have an iMac with the intel core 2 duo, but the reason the thought occurred to me was that the graphics chip is an Nvidia 8800 GS Mobile chip. Thats what sparked the thought.
Old 01-27-2010, 02:53 AM   #8 (permalink)

Im pretty sure you have all misunderstood (i think??).

Are you asking if it is possible to turn an iMac (the Apple desktop with the screen inbuilt) into a laptop as the components are mobile and small?
Old 01-27-2010, 03:57 PM   #9 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by zedman3d View Post
Im pretty sure you have all misunderstood (i think??).

Are you asking if it is possible to turn an iMac (the Apple desktop with the screen inbuilt) into a laptop as the components are mobile and small?
that was the general idea of my thought. though my question was more of why shouldn't it be possible.
Old 01-27-2010, 08:51 PM   #10 (permalink)
Call me Mak or K
Mod Emeritus

Considering as i said in my previous statement, using boot camp you can dual boot, it is possible. At least it is possible to run Windows. But to switch the BIOS Chip is something else. Gain why would you bother when you can run both?

Phone: LG Optimus G Pro
Running: Stock JB from LG with Nova Launcher

Closed Thread