I have lost all admin rights and need help fixing it

Hydra

Solid State Member
Recently I did a clean install from the windows installation tool off a CD I made. Soon after logging on and making my first account (again!) I couldn't open the C drive. I messed with the owner options and made my account the owner so I could open it. Possibly before or maybe after (I'm not sure) I realised I wasn't able to use any admin settings, (like add another account or see advanced system settings) open any applications that required admin rights (like CMD or any installation file) or do anything in the system menu. I've tried to look up the solution but can't find anything that fits the description of my problem. Any help is welcome. Thanks in advance for at least reading this.

What version of Windows?

Is your account marked as an Admin account, or is it only considered a normal User account?

Since it's a fresh install, I'd say just wipe & install again.

What build of Win10 did you install?

I had something similar happen with the release build of Win10. Didn't have any admin privileges and such. I just reinstalled and it was fine.

Recently I did a clean install ...

Speak clearly, if you want to get help.
  1. What is your user name, is it normal name or You have selected "Administrator";
  2. whether are You user or owner of this computer;
  3. if Windows 10 is registered so, that you are the owner is everything possible. So what You you chosed during the installation, was it "I own it" or "it belongs to the company"
  4. if all works correctly, depends on what is your current status, whether you can make a new administrator account or not.
  5. Presumably you understand, that if you make a new administraartori account, you can all the things to change. But it is possible only if you are owner, not user. If it belongs to the company, there is already an administrator, and You must ask him/her to make changes.
  6. So let me know, how is it installed and who are You - owner or user. Then I can help You, if You are owner.

Speak clearly, if you want to get help.
  1. What is your user name, is it normal name or You have selected "Administrator";
  2. whether are You user or owner of this computer;
  3. if Windows 10 is registered so, that you are the owner is everything possible. So what You you chosed during the installation, was it "I own it" or "it belongs to the company"
  4. if all works correctly, depends on what is your current status, whether you can make a new administrator account or not.
  5. Presumably you understand, that if you make a new administraartori account, you can all the things to change. But it is possible only if you are owner, not user. If it belongs to the company, there is already an administrator, and You must ask him/her to make changes.
  6. So let me know, how is it installed and who are You - owner or user. Then I can help You, if You are owner.
I am the owner. My account is an admin account but my user name is Hydra. I am unable to access anything that requires access to anything. I cannot open settings. I cannot open task manager. I cannot open install files. If there is any help you can give i will be very grateful.

Since it's a fresh install, I'd say just wipe & install again.

What build of Win10 did you install?

I had something similar happen with the release build of Win10. Didn't have any admin privileges and such. I just reinstalled and it was fine.

+1 to this. All the troubleshooting involved in solving this and reloading the OS would be even quicker. In fact, you could already be done loading a fresh installation of Windows by now.

+1 to this. All the troubleshooting involved in solving this and reloading the OS would be even quicker. In fact, you could already be done loading a fresh installation of Windows by now.
Actually I can't open the settings, to initiate a fresh start.

I am the owner. My account is an admin account but my user name is Hydra. I am unable to access anything that requires access to anything. I cannot open settings. I cannot open task manager. I cannot open install files. If there is any help you can give i will be very grateful.

Are there some things that you can do. For example, open folders, open files and save files. Do you can go on Internet and from there to download something, etc?

Back
Top Bottom