I have lost all admin rights and need help fixing it - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Laptops and Notebooks
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 08-10-2016, 05:54 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: London
Posts: 10
Default I have lost all admin rights and need help fixing it

Recently I did a clean install from the windows installation tool off a CD I made. Soon after logging on and making my first account (again!) I couldn't open the C drive. I messed with the owner options and made my account the owner so I could open it. Possibly before or maybe after (I'm not sure) I realised I wasn't able to use any admin settings, (like add another account or see advanced system settings) open any applications that required admin rights (like CMD or any installation file) or do anything in the system menu. I've tried to look up the solution but can't find anything that fits the description of my problem. Any help is welcome. Thanks in advance for at least reading this.
__________________

Hydra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 09:07 PM   #2 (permalink)
Private Joker
 
carnageX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: South Dakota
Posts: 24,341
Default Re: I have lost all admin rights and need help fixing it

What version of Windows?

Is your account marked as an Admin account, or is it only considered a normal User account?
__________________

__________________
Laptop: MSI GT70 2OC-059us | i7-4700MQ | 16GB | GTX 770m | 500GB SSD / 750GB HDD | 17.3" | Win10 Pro
Desktop: 4690k | 12GB g.Skill RipJaws | GTX 970 | 520hx | Z87X-UD4H | Corsair Vengeance C70 | Corsair H110 | Acer 25" | Acer 22" | Win10
Mobile: Samsung Galaxy Note 5


If I help you, or you just like what I said, rep me by clicking the under my post
carnageX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 12:27 PM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: London
Posts: 10
Default Re: I have lost all admin rights and need help fixing it

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnageX View Post
What version of Windows?

Is your account marked as an Admin account, or is it only considered a normal User account?
windows 10 and my account is default admin
Hydra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 01:21 PM   #4 (permalink)
Private Joker
 
carnageX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: South Dakota
Posts: 24,341
Default Re: I have lost all admin rights and need help fixing it

Since it's a fresh install, I'd say just wipe & install again.

What build of Win10 did you install?

I had something similar happen with the release build of Win10. Didn't have any admin privileges and such. I just reinstalled and it was fine.
__________________
Laptop: MSI GT70 2OC-059us | i7-4700MQ | 16GB | GTX 770m | 500GB SSD / 750GB HDD | 17.3" | Win10 Pro
Desktop: 4690k | 12GB g.Skill RipJaws | GTX 970 | 520hx | Z87X-UD4H | Corsair Vengeance C70 | Corsair H110 | Acer 25" | Acer 22" | Win10
Mobile: Samsung Galaxy Note 5


If I help you, or you just like what I said, rep me by clicking the under my post
carnageX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 04:09 PM   #5 (permalink)
Junior Techie
 
kalju's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: EU
Posts: 58
Default Re: I have lost all admin rights and need help fixing it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hydra View Post
Recently I did a clean install ...
Speak clearly, if you want to get help.
  1. What is your user name, is it normal name or You have selected "Administrator";
  2. whether are You user or owner of this computer;
  3. if Windows 10 is registered so, that you are the owner is everything possible. So what You you chosed during the installation, was it "I own it" or "it belongs to the company"
  4. if all works correctly, depends on what is your current status, whether you can make a new administrator account or not.
  5. Presumably you understand, that if you make a new administraartori account, you can all the things to change. But it is possible only if you are owner, not user. If it belongs to the company, there is already an administrator, and You must ask him/her to make changes.
  6. So let me know, how is it installed and who are You - owner or user. Then I can help You, if You are owner.
kalju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 01:01 PM   #6 (permalink)
Newb Techie
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: London
Posts: 10
Default Re: I have lost all admin rights and need help fixing it

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalju View Post
Speak clearly, if you want to get help.
  1. What is your user name, is it normal name or You have selected "Administrator";
  2. whether are You user or owner of this computer;
  3. if Windows 10 is registered so, that you are the owner is everything possible. So what You you chosed during the installation, was it "I own it" or "it belongs to the company"
  4. if all works correctly, depends on what is your current status, whether you can make a new administrator account or not.
  5. Presumably you understand, that if you make a new administraartori account, you can all the things to change. But it is possible only if you are owner, not user. If it belongs to the company, there is already an administrator, and You must ask him/her to make changes.
  6. So let me know, how is it installed and who are You - owner or user. Then I can help You, if You are owner.
I am the owner. My account is an admin account but my user name is Hydra. I am unable to access anything that requires access to anything. I cannot open settings. I cannot open task manager. I cannot open install files. If there is any help you can give i will be very grateful.
Hydra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 01:35 PM   #7 (permalink)
Night Ninja
 
MidnightShadow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: USA
Posts: 774
Default Re: I have lost all admin rights and need help fixing it

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnageX View Post
Since it's a fresh install, I'd say just wipe & install again.

What build of Win10 did you install?

I had something similar happen with the release build of Win10. Didn't have any admin privileges and such. I just reinstalled and it was fine.
+1 to this. All the troubleshooting involved in solving this and reloading the OS would be even quicker. In fact, you could already be done loading a fresh installation of Windows by now.
__________________
MidnightShadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 02:00 PM   #8 (permalink)
Newb Techie
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: London
Posts: 10
Default Re: I have lost all admin rights and need help fixing it

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightShadow View Post
+1 to this. All the troubleshooting involved in solving this and reloading the OS would be even quicker. In fact, you could already be done loading a fresh installation of Windows by now.
Actually I can't open the settings, to initiate a fresh start.
Hydra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 04:25 PM   #9 (permalink)
Private Joker
 
carnageX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: South Dakota
Posts: 24,341
Default Re: I have lost all admin rights and need help fixing it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hydra View Post
Actually I can't open the settings, to initiate a fresh start.
Boot off of your install media...
__________________
Laptop: MSI GT70 2OC-059us | i7-4700MQ | 16GB | GTX 770m | 500GB SSD / 750GB HDD | 17.3" | Win10 Pro
Desktop: 4690k | 12GB g.Skill RipJaws | GTX 970 | 520hx | Z87X-UD4H | Corsair Vengeance C70 | Corsair H110 | Acer 25" | Acer 22" | Win10
Mobile: Samsung Galaxy Note 5


If I help you, or you just like what I said, rep me by clicking the under my post
carnageX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 05:37 PM   #10 (permalink)
Junior Techie
 
kalju's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: EU
Posts: 58
Default Re: I have lost all admin rights and need help fixing it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hydra View Post
I am the owner. My account is an admin account but my user name is Hydra. I am unable to access anything that requires access to anything. I cannot open settings. I cannot open task manager. I cannot open install files. If there is any help you can give i will be very grateful.
Are there some things that you can do. For example, open folders, open files and save files. Do you can go on Internet and from there to download something, etc?
__________________

kalju is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
help.. removing admin rights in all moves.. CLoudZELL91 General Security Topics 9 03-12-2016 11:32 AM
Can I get rid of Novell without admin rights or at least forge admin rights? flybynight Computer Networking and Internet Hardware 5 08-31-2010 08:46 PM
This is why you dont give users admin rights jseber1982 Off Topic Discussion 11 06-16-2005 10:23 PM
NO Admin Rights!! Please Help!! witchbonnie Monitors, Printers and Peripherals 23 06-01-2005 03:03 PM
Bypassing Admin Rights...Win 2000 Pro? synergy Microsoft Windows and Software 6 03-18-2005 10:55 AM


Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:42 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.