I got my girst laptop, Acer 5100 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Laptops and Notebooks
Closed Thread
Old 09-10-2007, 10:13 AM   #1 (permalink)
Monster Techie
Send a message via AIM to TheOtis
Default I got my first laptop, Acer 5100

Hey All-

So I decided it was time for me to get a laptop. My parents said they'd help pay for one since I could really use it. Sure I have a computer at home, a great gaming one at that. But I realised after my first year of college last year, it would be a good idea to have one. With so many group projects, staying up all night working on group projects, power point presentations, and having a couple classes back to back, it's a great investment.

Here are the specs-

-AMD X2 TK-53
-160gig hard drive
-ATI Radeon Xpress 1100
-Not sure of the chipset or mobo

I upgraded the memory for the 2x512's that came from the factory to two kingstone 2x1gigs. Onboard video running Windows Vista with 1 gig of memory is no good, which is why I installed 2 gigs.

I found takeing it apart and installing the memory extremely easy to do. I was warned awhile ago how complicated laptops are to take apart, and I really don't understand why. Just take out some screws and plastic pieces and everything's right there in front of you. If you have experience working with desktop PC's, you'll have no problem working with a laptop.

I didn't want to opt for a gaming laptop, because I use it soley for school. Plus I already have my gaming rig w/ a quad core Q6600 and an 8800GTS.

I did install CS 1.6 and Half life, it plays those just fine @ 1280x800. I'm tempted to see how it plays CS source at low settings on lower res just for ****s and giggles.

All in all, if you want a basic laptop that has a really nice looking screen, has a decent amount of storage without having to upgrade the hard drive, is good for media playback, that's lightweight, this laptops perfect.

Battery life can very big time depending on what you use your laptop for. I'd say rougly 2hours or so per full charge, so if you did buy it, you may want to consider buying a better battery.

The price is great as well. With me installing those 2 gigs along with the price of thelaptop, I spent around $680 all together.

This is by no means a desktop replacement, as it uses Onboard video, has a slower cpu compared to others, and has a somewhat smaller hard drive then others.

FYI- The circuit city pages shows the cost incorrectly. It's around $60 cheaper.

http://www.circuitcity.com/ccd/productDetail.do?oid=185212&WT.mc_n=4&WT.mc_t=U&cm _ven=COMPARISON%20SHOPPING&cm_cat=GOOGLE&cm_pla=DA TAFEED->PRODUCTS&cm_ite=1%20PRODUCT&cm_keycode=4
Back on being mobile - ASUS G551- 15.3" 1080p - Core i7 4710HQ - GTX 860M - 16GB DDR3 1600 - 512GB Samsung 850 Pro - Steam ID: TheOtis
Closed Thread