I am getting an Acer Aspire One

Status
Not open for further replies.
Day one on using this notebook.

For the price you are paying, it not a bad little unit. The display is rather nice. Especially since you can run things tat 1024 x 600 resolution.
Provided that you are not powering an external USB hard drive, you can get up to around about 3 hour batter life on the 3 cell battery. There is a 6 cell battery option, however for the time being, unless i am doing any real travelling, i will stick to my power inverter which I purchased for my car.

Unlike a lot of other Acer notebooks that i have come across, there is not much in the way of bloatware. Acer has to be on the top of my list for installing BS software that you don't need. However i am still trying to work out why some one installed a copy of PowerDVD on this computer when there is no optical drive sold with the unit.

Not having an optical drive is a minor hassel, but it's some thing that can easily work around by sharing a drive on the network. However after i have all the applications installed, it rather unlikely i will be needing an optical drive.

160Gb Hard drive is plently of room. Not only can i install of my applications, but i have plenty of space left over to media files. I might even see about running a dual boot with linux. I am even half tempted to put hackintosh on this notebook. :p

The Aspire also comes with a small slim line pouch. However it only fit the netbook. THere is additional space for the AC Adator. I do see myself looking for some sort of car bag in the new year as i iwll need to carrying along other items like a mouse and USB to 9 Pin Serial converter. I can see these netbooks being a real hit with trades people that just need a small notebook so they can connect up to various diagnostic equipment.

Only complains that i have so far is
1. Would of been nice if Acer Partitioned the drive. Easly fixed with partiton magic.
2. From what I have been reading online, the memory and hard drive is a tricky to get too. However I am not sure why would any one want to increase the hard drive size or memory. Especialy considering that the netbook is really there just for surfing the internet, office applications and media.
3. I really don't like the size of the touch pad. It rather tiny, hense the reason why i am picking up a wireless notebook mouse for it this afternoon.

For the price you are paying for Netbooks, you can not go wrong. It's going to be interesting to see if we are still going to have a market for Toshiba Portoge or some of the more higher priced ultra light laptop. Reason being is that most people that purchase these type of laptops are business people that just need a small notebook for emails, office applications and presentations. Unless you need the speed and profomace, why outlay the extra cash for what you don't need.

Over all, if you just need a laptop computer for when you are on the road or travelling, the you can not go wrong with a Netbook.

I have posted some pics of the Acer Aspire.
I have also taken a photo of the Acer Aspire Netbook with 8'9 display next to an Asus A6000 with 15" dispay so you can see the difference in size. I was extremely taken by surprise when i saw the size of this unit.

Attachments

• Acer Aspire.jpg
    Acer Aspire.jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 201
  • ApireOne Size.jpg
    ApireOne Size.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 1,342
Powerdvd doesn't just have to be used with dvd's its actually quite a good media player bit bloated for my tastes but if its the ultimate or deluxe (can't remember what one is there premium) it has a software hd decoder which is supposed to be rather good.

Boss was green with envy yesterday as I was using the Acer Aspire to program a Casio QT6000 Rom Based Cash Register.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom