Huge problems with my HP laptop, please suggest!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ronnie.1

Baseband Member
I have a two uear old HP Pavilion DV6000. It has been showing some really weird problems lately.
1. The external speakers dont work
2. The power on/off switch doesnt work
3. The sound comes fragmented
4. It takes 15 minutes to boot up
My comp's specs are:
512 MB DDR RAM, 80 GB HDD, 2.4GHz AMD turion. Can someone please tell me what could be the problem? Thanks.

How do you turn it on? Does it sound fine when using headphones? Is it slow after boot up, or just booting up?

Good questions.
1. I use the quickplay button.
2. Sounds come just fine on the headphones while playing games and movies, but some mp3 files are the ones that act weird.
3. It is slow just booting up, after that it works almost fine.

Thanks

Well I have to believe the power switch is unrelated to the other problems, as this can't be attributed to software corruption. It is probable that a connection came loose, rendering the switch powerless.

For the other problems, try updating your sound drivers/codecs. Does the computer take literally 15 minutes? Or just a long time? My laptop with similar specs takes a long time as well, its expected for an old laptop. However, if it just became really slow out of no where, try popping in your XP disc (assuming you are running XP) and run a repair on your install.

Ok, then I would definitely try to repair the install, possibly even do a whole clean install. The latter should clear everything up.

i would do a fresh install, too bad it's ddr, or i would have said grab another stick of ram (but ddr is a little expensive)

Are you sure u got the model right? because i have a 1year old (just came out when bought) dv2000 and the specs are much higher then yours (i put another gig of ram though)

Another stick of RAM would really help a bunch. Increasing your RAM is a really easy way to get a huge improvement in system speed. If you multitask a lot, RAM is important, as it may use virtual RAM (where it uses the hard drive as RAM) and that is very slow.

As for the power button, I'd say it's a hardware issue, though it could be a BIOS issue. Try updating the BIOS if you haven't done so in a while, HP releases BIOS updates on their website. If that doesn't fix it, you could take it apart and replace the power switch, or just use the QuickPlay button. If you have one, the HP ExpressCard Media Remote or the full-size HP Media Center Remote both have power buttons that you can turn on your computer with.

Do you defrag regularly? Download a copy of Disk Keeper Lite and run it. A heavily fragmented drive can case a lot of weird problems and attribute to a long boot as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom