HP vs Lenovo (laptop)

Status
Not open for further replies.

scj6771

Baseband Member
So I have been tasked with a report to define why exactly it was we switched from Lenovo to HP laptops.

We were using the X61 Lenovo model when someone came up with the bright idea we switch over to the HP Elitebook 2530P models.

What brought this research project on was that we are having what seems to be more issues with the HP's (hardware, physical damage, performance and support is in my opinion far behind what we had with Lenovo) Again (and this is my opinion) the Lenovo's were solid machines, work-horses if you will. The specs of the HP 2530P are as follows:

Windows XP Pro SP3

1. Board: Hewlett-Packard 30E1 KBC Version 03.16
Bus Clock: 200 megahertz

2. 1.20 gigahertz Intel Core2 Duo
64 kilobyte primary memory cache
3072 kilobyte secondary memory cache
64-bit ready
Multi-core (2 total)
Not hyper-threaded

3. 80.02 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity SATA 5400 RPM

4. 2048 Megabytes Usable Installed Memory - DDR2 - PC2-6400 400MHz - FSB DRAM 1:2 - DRAM FREQ 399.0

5. Display - Mobile Intel(R) 4 Series Express Chipset Family [Display adapter] (2x)

6. Intel(R) ICH9M-E/M SATA AHCI Controller

7. Wireless - Broadcom 4322AG 802.11a/b/g/draft-n Wi-Fi Adapter

8. Ethernet - Intel(R) 82567LM Gigabit Network Connection

Also, what can you tell me about the differences in the memory?

X61 - http://scj6771.smugmug.com/photos/657780070_kH365-L.jpg

2530P - http://scj6771.smugmug.com/photos/657780618_2nHh5-L.jpg

My question to you all is:

What is your opinion on this? Does anyone have the same issues with HP? Got a better solution? Of course price is always the main factor but any advice or opinion would be appreciated. Thank you.

The better price probably lies with HP. But I have always had a good experience with the IBM/Lenovo thinkpads. Those things last forever, and in a business environment, will outperform and outlast the HP. However, that is just my opinion based on my experiences.

The HP is a better setup.. SSD, low power cpu, better screen etc,

It all depends on the nature of thre problems though... Are your employees dropping them, or d/ling crap etc..

Yha, Lenovos are great machines, but the use is usually the issue.

Yes the main users of these are the "road warriors" so they take a lot of abuse, in my opinion the HP's are not up to the challenge and feel pretty flimsy!

Yha, probably the wrong product for the intended use...
While the HP is probably the better system for the price, The Lanovo is probably the sturdier computer.

It's hard to argue when its not reallhy the machines problem.

Every time i see a thread like this is makes me yearn for IBM Thinkpads. The quality has definitely deminished. The one factor I've noticed in selling them though. HP's seem to die right out of warranty...the touch sensative buttons, power jacks and generally motherboard malfunctions seem to bring them down...whereas the lenovo thinkpads seem to mess up right away if there are any issues, because they dont have the same quality control anymore. Once you get a fully functioning one they seem to be okay though, probably better build quality than the HP's.

The t400's have recieved some promising reviews though...so perhaps lenovo is starting to adapt.

notebookreview is a great site for in depth reviews, definitely recommended to check out.

I would definitely go for Lenovo. I think they are the best laptop in terms of robustness. We are using Lenovo thinkpads at the office and the performance are living up to our expectations.

Hello,

I've owned two HP business notebooks and one Lenovo business notebook in the past. The most recent ones were an HP 2510p ultraportable (the predecessor to the HP Elitebook 2530p) and a Lenovo T400 notebook. System support from both HP and Lenovo were superb, in my experiences with them. The build quality and reliability of both systems were superb too.

In order for a proper analysis, some more detail is needed. What system specifications were your Lenovo X61 notebooks? Providing these will allow a comparison to be made with the 2530p notebooks. Also, what are these laptops used for in your organisation?

As mentioned, most Lenovo notebooks (not excluding the X61) have excellent build quality and reliability. However, I'm surprised to hear that you're experiencing build quality issues with your HP Elitebook 2530p notebooks, since they're pretty durable with their internal magnesium alloy structure, hardened plastic and brushed aluminium shell. They're close to being technically rugged. Even it's predecessor, the HP 2510p (whose structure was composed of more plastic components than metal) is surprisingly durable.

I'm also a little surprised to hear about hardware problems with the Elitebook 2530p. Are these physical issues, or less serious problems like driver issues?

As for the performance issues, more often than not, it can quite simply be attributed to the system specifications not meeting the user requirements. In other words, poor requirements analysis prior to purchasing and deploying the notebooks. The Elitebook 2530p equipped with a 1.2 GHz Core 2 Duo Ultra Low Voltage SU9300 processor is not exactly a workhorse machine. Whether this and its other specifications meets / doesn't meet the user requirements is another question to be answered.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom