HP pavillion dv6700 power cycle problem won't turn on..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chrysamere

Baseband Member
I've had this computer for a good three years and recently I was just using it like I always do talking to some friends on MSN and listening to youtube music, all of the sudden the screen turns into a weird beige and I couldn't do anything with it so I removed the battery.

Every time I try to power it on it keeps cycling on and off with 2 second intervals, the screen is not working at all and is just black. This problem happens with the charger cable and the battery.

I've opened up the entire laptop and dissembled everything to every part and resembled it carefully to make sure all the connections are in place, there is still the same problem with the power cycling. It does this with and without the hard drive in place, holding F10 also makes the lights keep on but still nothing on the screen.

Any one have any ideas on what I can do to fix this? or should I just buy a new laptop, thanks.

Read this to see if you have an enhanced warranty option for your laptop, it most likely does with it being in the DV6xxx line.
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/...77&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&product=1842189&lang=en

The following symptoms apply to the dv6000, dv9000 and v6000 series notebooks:

The notebook does not detect wireless networks and the wireless adapter is not detected in the Device Manager.There is no video on the computer LCD panel or external monitor.The notebook has no power and no active LEDs.The notebook does not start.The battery charge indicator light does not turn on when the battery is installed and the AC adapter is connected.The notebook issues a single beep during boot indicating no power.The external monitor functions but there is no image on the notebook LCD panel.

I've had this computer for a good three years and recently I was just using it like I always do talking to some friends on MSN and listening to youtube music, all of the sudden the screen turns into a weird beige and I couldn't do anything with it so I removed the battery.

Every time I try to power it on it keeps cycling on and off with 2 second intervals, the screen is not working at all and is just black. This problem happens with the charger cable and the battery.

I've opened up the entire laptop and dissembled everything to every part and resembled it carefully to make sure all the connections are in place, there is still the same problem with the power cycling. It does this with and without the hard drive in place, holding F10 also makes the lights keep on but still nothing on the screen.

Any one have any ideas on what I can do to fix this? or should I just buy a new laptop, thanks.

Depending whether you have AMD or Intel dv several things could have happened:

1) Intel units - most frequent problems are with video chips. North Bridge almost never goes out (never seen it tbh, and we repair 4-5 dv units a day).
2) AMD units - if integrated video card is used then North bridge went out; if separate video chip is installed then problem is either Video chip or North Bridge (North Bridge being the most common one with AMD configuarations).

Problem is totally fixable and takes a good tech with proper equipment under an hour (chip is removed from the motherboard and a new one is soldered in). Repair rates are around $160-220 for that kind of job. Makes more sense to repair it IMHO, since you won't pick up a decent computer for that kind of money. There is an option to sell it broken as well.

btw, 3 years is VERY good for dv series. Most go out within 12-16 months.

Sashko, any board can go out no matter the CPU maker. It's not CPU dependant. It depends on what he has done with it and whatever bs HP put on it.

Sashko, any board can go out no matter the CPU maker. It's not CPU dependant. It depends on what he has done with it and whatever bs HP put on it.

Problems with DV series are VERY board specific. HP uses variety of board configurations for different CPU setups within same series and all of them have their own problems associated with them. AMD CPU board is different from Intel CPU board and AMD integrated is different from AMD + Nvidia.

Still, it is the board that welds it, is the problem. The CPUs run flawlessly in other laptops. It is only HP's fault.

Still, it is the board that welds it, is the problem. The CPUs run flawlessly in other laptops. It is only HP's fault.

I didn't mean that it was a CPU's fault. I've never seen CPU fail in dv series tbh.

It's just a fairly widely accepted standard to categorize dv series by CPU configuration. And as I said, different board setups have slightly different issues.

Totally agree that it's HP's fault. They still haven't resolved the issues with dv-series with overheating and resulting hardware damage (3 bloody years later). As good as their business series are, their consumer stuff is total crap quality wise (but they ARE shiny :D )

Misread that, sorry. I thought you meant CPUs in general, not in that laptop's series. This humidity is fogging my mind...

Sashko is actually correct on this, the AMD units shipped with Nvidia based GPU's, and the heatsink design was HORRIBLE, thus causing overheating and various other issues with the laptop.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom