HP Pavillion dv6000 problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

rokor

Baseband Member
So I bought this laptop off a friend a few months ago for a very reasonable price, but now upon startup, a few seconds in it just shuts off. Ever since I had it it has had battery problems(I had to have it plugged in for it to work), but now it doesnt work at all. Any idea on what the problem is, and any possible solutions?

The DV line of HP laptops are not a good choice.

Do you see any BSOD before it shut down?

Did you take the battery out when you ran off AC?

Nope, just shut down once randomly and hasnt started fully since. And nope, I left the battery in. The battery would last about a minute or two after a full charge if that matters. And I'm not too good with laptops, but is there anything I could do to the hardware to make it a more powerfull laptop?

Take the battery out and see if it works any better with just AC.

The only thing you can upgrade is the RAM and HDD. You can upgrade the CPU, but you won't benefit anything from it.

You should start saving up for a new notebook.

Nope, no difference :( The reason I got it in the first place was because it was $90. What if I was to replace all of the hardware to something better? Is that even possible?

To replace all the hardware could cost as much as another cheap low end laptop. Stay AWAY from the DV series, they are HORRIBLY built. One of them, I think it was in the 6xxx line, they wanted to apparently save some copper, so they made the heatsink a bit too small, and used FOAM PADS, SEVERAL foam pads to make up the gap between the CPU and heatsink... I managed to save that laptop by placing a penny between the heatsink and cpu, with gobs of paste.... Brought the CPU down by 20C.

So do your self a favor, toss it, it's probably a fried processor.

No it's not possible. Laptops are designed around the parts and can only fit the parts that were made for them (videocard/motherboard) inside their shell. Not often can you replace the card.

Like MoM said, it would be better to just save up for a new one because the DV series were/are bad.

It's possible yours could be suffering from the GPU problem that a lot of HP DV series laptops suffered from, which was the GPU solder joints coming loose because of too much heat, and then the solder cracks when it cools, causing it to lose contact. This basically requires a reflow of the board (there's DIY ways to do it such as using a heatgun on the isolated area, or even putting the motherboard in the oven).

Oh my god, that is terrible :S Alright, what is a decent laptop that you'd suggest? I'll be using it for watching movies, a lot of multi tasking and school stuff, maybe some gaming.

I have a friend's HP DVXXXX laptop that had similar issues. The battery stopped charging and it would not run off of AC power alone. I opened it up and traced it back to a bad capacitor on the mobo that was turning off one of the pins to the battery's power supply. I didn't dig deep enough to determine if I could replace that specific capacitor, but a replacement refurbished motherboard for it was $221 and was limited in availability.

I have my own personal DVXXXX laptop and it also has its problems. I really had no idea these were bad laptops until this thread came around. (My personal one has heat issues too.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom