HP Pavillion dv6000 problem - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Laptops and Notebooks
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 08-02-2011, 09:51 PM   #1 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Default HP Pavillion dv6000 problem

So I bought this laptop off a friend a few months ago for a very reasonable price, but now upon startup, a few seconds in it just shuts off. Ever since I had it it has had battery problems(I had to have it plugged in for it to work), but now it doesnt work at all. Any idea on what the problem is, and any possible solutions?

Old 08-03-2011, 10:45 AM   #2 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description

Send a message via MSN to MindoverMaster
Default Re: HP Pavillion dv6000 problem

The DV line of HP laptops are not a good choice.

Do you see any BSOD before it shut down?

Did you take the battery out when you ran off AC?

Old 08-03-2011, 02:28 PM   #3 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Nope, just shut down once randomly and hasnt started fully since. And nope, I left the battery in. The battery would last about a minute or two after a full charge if that matters. And I'm not too good with laptops, but is there anything I could do to the hardware to make it a more powerfull laptop?
Old 08-03-2011, 02:36 PM   #4 (permalink)

Take the battery out and see if it works any better with just AC.

The only thing you can upgrade is the RAM and HDD. You can upgrade the CPU, but you won't benefit anything from it.

You should start saving up for a new notebook.
Old 08-03-2011, 02:41 PM   #5 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Nope, no difference The reason I got it in the first place was because it was $90. What if I was to replace all of the hardware to something better? Is that even possible?
Old 08-03-2011, 03:18 PM   #6 (permalink)
Lord Techie

To replace all the hardware could cost as much as another cheap low end laptop. Stay AWAY from the DV series, they are HORRIBLY built. One of them, I think it was in the 6xxx line, they wanted to apparently save some copper, so they made the heatsink a bit too small, and used FOAM PADS, SEVERAL foam pads to make up the gap between the CPU and heatsink... I managed to save that laptop by placing a penny between the heatsink and cpu, with gobs of paste.... Brought the CPU down by 20C.

So do your self a favor, toss it, it's probably a fried processor.
Old 08-03-2011, 03:20 PM   #7 (permalink)
Private Joker

No it's not possible. Laptops are designed around the parts and can only fit the parts that were made for them (videocard/motherboard) inside their shell. Not often can you replace the card.

Like MoM said, it would be better to just save up for a new one because the DV series were/are bad.

It's possible yours could be suffering from the GPU problem that a lot of HP DV series laptops suffered from, which was the GPU solder joints coming loose because of too much heat, and then the solder cracks when it cools, causing it to lose contact. This basically requires a reflow of the board (there's DIY ways to do it such as using a heatgun on the isolated area, or even putting the motherboard in the oven).

If I help you, or you just like what I said, rep me by clicking the under my post
Old 08-03-2011, 03:22 PM   #8 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Oh my god, that is terrible :S Alright, what is a decent laptop that you'd suggest? I'll be using it for watching movies, a lot of multi tasking and school stuff, maybe some gaming.
Old 08-03-2011, 03:25 PM   #9 (permalink)
True Techie

Send a message via AIM to ReikokuKo

I have a friend's HP DVXXXX laptop that had similar issues. The battery stopped charging and it would not run off of AC power alone. I opened it up and traced it back to a bad capacitor on the mobo that was turning off one of the pins to the battery's power supply. I didn't dig deep enough to determine if I could replace that specific capacitor, but a replacement refurbished motherboard for it was $221 and was limited in availability.

I have my own personal DVXXXX laptop and it also has its problems. I really had no idea these were bad laptops until this thread came around. (My personal one has heat issues too.)
Old 08-03-2011, 03:44 PM   #10 (permalink)

Really? We've been saying that they are a POS for awhile now. What is your budget, rokor?