HP pavilion graphics problem! please help

bayden_uk

Beta member
hi all im new to the site and im looking to see if there is anyone who can help or point me in the right direction of solving the problem.

i have a HP dv9500. i seem to be having a problem with my graphics.

at first this started to happen:
IMG_0646.jpg

the problem would fix and then in time this would start to happen:

after about ten seconds of the screen going completely mental i will eventually get this:
IMG_0650.jpg

if anybody has any idea what the problem is and any ways i can fix it i would much appreciate the any help and info :)

thanks in advance

Ben

That 0x0116 points to your graphic card problem.

Is your laptop still under warranty? I'd RMA it. There is something wrong with your graphic card.

It's pointing to a nvidia driver (the nvlddmkm.sys).

Have you tried updating your GPU drivers? Also, what are your GPU temps on just idle? Run HWMonitor and post a screenshot.

Like MoM said though, your GPU may be going bad (have seen this happen with a lot of HP's.. I'm guessing it's a dv6 line?). HP's get notoriously hot since they don't have very good cooling, and can end up damaging the hardware components due to said excess heat.

Similar thing happened to my old dv9700t (with nVidia 8600M GS). It could be one of two things:

1) GPU failure. The nVidia GPU's used in these laptops were notorious for being awful. They overheat and fail, causing either video corruption or total video failure. The solution is to replace the motherboard or reflow the GPU chip with a hot-air reflow station. At this point, probably would be best to just replace the laptop.

2) LCD Ribbon failure. The ribbon cable that connects the display to the motherboard could be worn out and have a break in it somewhere. This causes the screen to flicker and to distort as in your picture. If the laptop is otherwise working properly when the screen is messed up, the cable is likely. If wiggling the display back and forth causes the issue, it is most likely the cable. I had this happen after getting my board replaced for the GPU failure, ended up replacing the ribbon cable myself and it worked good as new afterwards.

Back
Top Bottom