HP Pavilion DV9700T CTO notebook system board problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hmm, well thanks for the feedback guys.

Alvin: Yeah, I've already sent it in to them and they diagnosed it and determined accidental damage and refused to repair it for free. And also, wouldn't the fact that I've already sent it in to them and it's been documented that I have, void out any chance of getting accidental damage protection on it now and having them repair it? Kind of like getting into a wreck without insurance, then when the people you hit want money, you go get an insurance policy after that fact? If that does work in this case, that would be awesome.

Calc: I know what you're talking about, but I don't think that's the issue, because when I got home the screen was already cracked with the nice big blotches of black everywhere. That's when it would boot up for a few minutes at a time while I pulled data off and gradually worked it's way down to a few seconds to not turning on at all.

Hmm, well thanks for the feedback guys.

Alvin: Yeah, I've already sent it in to them and they diagnosed it and determined accidental damage and refused to repair it for free. And also, wouldn't the fact that I've already sent it in to them and it's been documented that I have, void out any chance of getting accidental damage protection on it now and having them repair it? Kind of like getting into a wreck without insurance, then when the people you hit want money, you go get an insurance policy after that fact? If that does work in this case, that would be awesome.

Calc: I know what you're talking about, but I don't think that's the issue, because when I got home the screen was already cracked with the nice big blotches of black everywhere. That's when it would boot up for a few minutes at a time while I pulled data off and gradually worked it's way down to a few seconds to not turning on at all.

A good question. I've dug a little deeper at HP Total Care - HP Accidental Damage Protection and unfortunately their accidental damage care pack 'Does not cover preexisting damage to applicable hardware'. No surprise there I guess. Sorry about that :drool:. In hindsight, I suppose this plan would have worked if you didn't send your notebook in for repair :p. I suppose you could try this plan, but it does seem very risky.

Having said that, despite my notebook becoming defective in the out of warranty period, I was able to get my HP notebook repaired after purchasing the 1 year post warranty care pack, and HP were aware of this as I had called them up beforehand during the out of warranty period. However, I didn't send it in for out of warranty repair, and I'm not sure whether they opened a support case for my first enquiry, or whether it was against the care pack policy.

I hate to say this, but perhaps it would be more worthwhile to get a new laptop :umm:.

What number are you looking for? Since I have the same laptop (dv9700t w/ 8600M GS 512) maybe I could find the board number on mine (is there a way without opening it?)

PC Wizard says my board is a "Quanta 30CB"

What number are you looking for? Since I have the same laptop (dv9700t w/ 8600M GS 512) maybe I could find the board number on mine (is there a way without opening it?)

PC Wizard says my board is a "Quanta 30CB"

There's usually a service tag on the underside of your HP/Compaq notebook which states your notebook's part number. It's usually preceded by p/n: and if there is a hash in it, then it's usually the string before the hash (for example: RU452ET#ABU). From that, you should be able to find the system board part number on the HP parts website.

Alvin: Hmm, well, sounds like I really screwed the pooch by sending it beforehand. I should of looked into the warranty more. Lesson well learned.

Calc: That would be awesome if you could find the part #. I would greatly appreciate it.

Product: HP Pavilion dv9700

p/n: KL086AV (Edit: a quick Google search turns up plenty of results, but many look like generic dv9700t/dv9000 series stuff, probably not the specific board number)

It's possible the 512mb version was discontinued because of a high failure rate. If that's the case any 512mb version spares may have long sold out. The heat generated by the extra 256mb of ram may have been too much for heatsink design.

I doubt it's a failure issue, as mine is rock solid even overclocked. However, the dv7t is out now and people probably were buying the 512MB 8600MGS model over the 8400MGS one. Was it a 256MB 8600M GS or a 256MB 8400M GS? The 8600M GS usually comes with 512MB, not just more RAM but a different graphics chip altogether.

I would definitely not do that! The 8600M GS 512 isn't even that good of a card, the 8400M GS is even worse! I would get the 8600M GS one and overclock it, then you might be able to play Crysis on slightly higher settings (I overclocked mine, but I don't have Crysis)

I do not recommend overclocking a 8600m gs. Those cards are defective and are failing at stock speeds and overclocking will only make the problem worse since it produces more heat. Nvidia changed the solder on the chips to fix the problem but I don't know how long it will be until they start shipping the revised ones.

Ok, sorry for reviving a dead thread, but I finally got the laptop back from my wife. I cracked open the case and there is a fried spot on board itself, so I know now that the board is bad. The part number on the board is 461069-001 which I can find without much problem, but the problem I AM having now is this part number is apparently associated with multiple different GPUs. I can find the shared memory ones all the way up to the 8400M GS 256, but I still can't find the 8600M GS. And every company I've contacted that supposedly sells the board I'm looking for doesn't reply to my emails. Any ideas where I could get this board now that I know that part number? Thanks again for the help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom