HP Pavilion DV7 1135-NR Keyboard and Touchpad not working. - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Laptops and Notebooks
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 07-22-2011, 05:04 AM   #1 (permalink)
True Techie

Send a message via Yahoo to xpedient
Default HP Pavilion DV7 1135-NR Keyboard and Touchpad not working.

The title says it all. Also, if I am at the wrong section please do move it sirs.
More details:

Windows Vista (from HP)

In POST, I can select the buttons for the menu ie. boot options, bios menu, etc. BUT when I go in the menu I can't do anything. I can't select another menu tab, even pressing right/left/up/down won't do any good. The only thing left to do is turn off the laptop by holding the power button.

The boot selection always comes up whenever I open the laptop (safe mode, start windows normally, etc.) (because I can't turn it off via clicking, I hold the power button). Whenever it comes out, I CAN navigate by pressing up and down and hitting enter to select a choice.

It will load windows but when it comes to the login screen, I can't use mouse and keyboard so I can type my password. I can't do anything. Only thing left to do is hold the power button.

How can I overcome this problem?
I think it's software related because there's a time that I can use the keyboard but how? Windows doesn't give me a chance to login and search for any problems.

Edit: I also tried to boot a Windows 7 dvd to try the keyboard if it is working in that environment but no success.

Old 07-22-2011, 11:19 AM   #2 (permalink)
Private Joker

Default Re: HP Pavilion DV7 1135-NR Keyboard and Touchpad not working.

Can you try an external USB keyboard/mouse?

If I help you, or you just like what I said, rep me by clicking the under my post
Old 07-22-2011, 04:40 PM   #3 (permalink)
True Techie

I tried an external mouse, it's a USB and optical mouse... It doesn't work...
I wanna try an external keyboard but I don't have one, but I think the mouse test was enough proof that there is something wrong, right?

Edit:

Does this have to do with updating the BIOS?
Whenever I'm faced with a computer problem, it's always something new and I've found ways to find a fix, but this one is just a dead end because it won't let me type or even select any menu options for example the bios setup.

Old 07-22-2011, 04:43 PM   #4 (permalink)
Private Joker

A lot of times USB mice don't work until you're actually in the OS, because of drivers. USB keyboards usually work right off the bat though (including BIOS).

If I help you, or you just like what I said, rep me by clicking the under my post
Old 07-22-2011, 04:54 PM   #5 (permalink)
True Techie

Okay, I will buy an external keyboard just to check this out.

If it works? How do I fix the keyboard of the laptop itself? Do I have to always have an external keyboard? That will ruin the purpose of having a laptop, hehe!

And also, if it doesn't what does that mean? It's broken internally?

Old 07-22-2011, 04:59 PM   #6 (permalink)
Private Joker

If the USB one works, then it could be as simple as taking the laptop's keyboard off (usually a few screws and plastic clips in most laptops) and checking the connection, or it could mean replacing the keyboard.

If your computer is still under warranty, I would consider backing up your data and sending it in instead of replacing the keyboard yourself so you can save money.

Old 07-22-2011, 05:03 PM   #7 (permalink)
True Techie

Thanks for the quick reply, I will buy an external keyboard later to test it. One thing still confuses me is why is it working in some places... Will reply after testing it.

Old 07-22-2011, 05:04 PM   #8 (permalink)
Private Joker

But you said it's not fully working when it does work in places, right? So like I said, it could be a connection problem, or something faulty happening with the keyboard itself.

Old 07-23-2011, 02:39 PM   #9 (permalink)
True Techie

Hello I'm here again to update... Unfortunately I can't get my hands on a USB keyboard, hehe!

But, I managed to format/reinstall windows using another optical mouse. Long story short, I got into the desktop of windows using the on-screen keyboard (lucky).

I manage to make the keyboard work but not before doing something funny. I'll explain.

I turn on the laptop, when in the desktop, I can't use the keyboard and touchpad, but I can use optical mouse (external).
I made the keyboard work by putting the laptop into sleep mode, then waking it up. But not the touchpad. Touchpad remains unresponsive whether it is on/off.
So I decided to flash the BIOS, thinking that it is a BIOS problem. Upgraded from f.22 to f.45 I think.
Still same situation, keyboard still working after waking up, but not before sleeping. THIS IS WEIRD!

So what could be the problem? Anyone?

Closed Thread