HP laptop... missing CPU fan? Um?

Jayce

Fully Optimized
Hi friends. Been a while since I posted here. Running into a confusing situation that I'm trying to make sense of. Here's the run-down:

HP 15-R033DS model laptop. Purchased February 2015. Went into warranty repair center May 2015 to receive a new motherboard. Since then, laptop worked fine. Laptop has been used in light duty situations, i.e. office documents, web browsing, and that's about it.

The laptop belongs to a relative. Given it's out of warranty, they gave me a call. I opened up the laptop and here's what I found:

http://i.imgur.com/fr5qTuo.jpg

I'm... not seeing a processor fan. I got to wondering if this was somehow a passive chip. I called HP and after many hoops, two different technicians confirmed with me this laptop should have a fan. They both gave me the same part number of fan it should have: 753894-001.

The thing that confuses me is those white blocks. With those in place, I'm not understanding how the processor fan would fit. Are these spacers? I'm not understanding how a fan could A) fit in between those blocks, or B) sit on top with enough room.

Has anybody seen this before?

EDIT - Maybe this really is passive, somehow? The part # for the "heat sink" is 767537-001. A google search brings up the part... without a fan attached.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom