HP Laptop Fan Control? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Laptops and Notebooks
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 02-06-2010, 10:38 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default HP Laptop Fan Control?

I'm looking for a program to change the fan speed on my HP Pavilion dv9700t laptop, but I haven't found anything. Since this laptop has cooling problems, I want to turn the fan up higher while gaming to keep it nice and cool, I know the fan can go higher than it automatically goes because the fan goes full speed when I first turn the PC on and it is loud.

I tried SpeedFan but it didn't find any fan/fan controller. I know that software can change the fan speed because the BIOS flashing utility turns the fan to full speed when updating the BIOS. Anyone have any info about HP fan control?

Old 02-06-2010, 10:55 PM   #2 (permalink)
True Techie

Default Re: HP Laptop Fan Control?

what's your fan speed?
specify your fan temp...

Old 02-06-2010, 11:04 PM   #3 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description

Send a message via MSN to MindoverMaster

matt, I don't believe fans have a temperature, or do you mean the CPU/GPU?

Might want to clean up the fans, any vents, etc. Just get a condensed air can. Blast it out! :P

There are several other fan controllers out there. First of all, which OS?
Old 02-06-2010, 11:16 PM   #4 (permalink)

It's Windows 7 Professional 64-bit edition, but I also have Ubuntu 64 installed. I know I can clean it to keep it slightly cooler and I've even been considering taking it apart and putting some good thermal paste (Arctic Silver) on the chips. I had the board fail from the GPU overheating and breaking solder connections and I want to be 200% sure it won't happen again by running the fan overspeed, I have a cooling pad but it doesn't seem to help much.

I checked the BIOS (as is the common first reply to fan questions) and there's nothing to be found, the only "options" the excuse for a BIOS has is boot order, it also has a HDD and memory tester, but no advanced options or even slightly advanced options.

Some people say they've had HP laptops change fan speed using ACPI software but I haven't figured out what was meant by that. PC Wizard says that the monitoring chip is a National LM79 and it reports two (different) fan speeds (on a laptop with one fan), both numbers appearing to be incorrect.

I then tried a program that worked on my netbook (it was worth a shot...) called S10 Fan Control, it crashed, also tried a program that worked on Dell laptops but it too failed to install.

Why is HP so lame when it comes to stuff like this? I am never buying another HP product after this horrible laptop.

Old 02-06-2010, 11:23 PM   #5 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description

Send a message via MSN to MindoverMaster

Did you try Afterburner? my friend says it worked for his geforce card. That was on a desktop though, might as well at least try
Old 02-08-2010, 08:31 PM   #6 (permalink)
Super Techie

HP has a BIOS update which makes the fan run overtime (it never stops). Not sure if it applies for your unit though.

Closed Thread