HP Envy laptop keyboard gets extremely hot

Emmahhcee

Solid State Member
The laptop doesn't even need to be extremely hot, but the laptop keyboard heats up, when I'm gaming the left side of the laptop heats up a lot, and it burns to touch, but right now when I type this there's a heat under the whole of my keyboard, despite only using the laptop for browsing. The right side is a lot hotter to the touch (but doesn't go as extremely hot as the left side when I game).
I was recommended this laptop for gaming, and ended up shelling out £777+ for it, yet I worry when I'm gaming because the laptop is so hot, and I've even seen a few comments of people saying the laptop heat has scalded them.
-
The laptop is new, I got it about five days ago, and I do like the laptop, it lets me do everything I want to do, and does it fairly well, it's just the keyboard that is annoying.
Is there any way to resolve this?

It doesn't get so hot that I can't touch it, but it does get hot enough that if I were to place my hand against it long term that I'd find it uncomfortable. I use SpeedFan and these are the results:
HD0: 50C
Temp1: 48C
Temp2: 0C
GPU: 0C
GPU: 46C
Core; 46C
-
It seems to be that every HP Envy has similar problems, I would return it, but like I said it works for me every other way, it's just the keyboard that is a nuisance.
-
Do you think investing in a laptop cooling system would help this out?

This is why I recommend MSI or Asus for gaming laptops. They have cooling systems properly built so that the keyboard remains fairly cool and heat is properly dispersed.

Post results with HWMonitor - SpeedFan isn't always accurate, so it's not really recommended.

You could try getting a laptop cooling pad (make sure you get one with fans positioned correctly for where your laptop's hotspots are).

I went in to PC world, and was recommended the HP Envy as the best one and also one that was in my price range, I don't really understand what each of the sections are but in order:
49C, 48C, 52C *Temperatues TZ0_*
-
97C, 96C 104C *Temperatures - Package*
-
48C, 48C, 48C *Temperatures - Assembly*
48C, 48C, 48C *Temperatures - Air Flow*
-
45C, 45C, 51C *Temperatures - TMPIN0*
-
I think I will see about getting a Laptop Cooling Stand rather than giving up on the laptop.

Oops yeah haha,
heat_zps3b7633e4.png

I'm assuming that's during idle?

Your CPU temp is crazy high... I would say just repaste your laptop since it I'm sure the factory paste job was crappy...but you just bought it a few days ago so that would most likely void the warranty.

What' about when you play a game and it's heating up? Could you run HWMonitor while gaming until it gets to the level of heat you mentioned and then post another screenshot?

Yeah, well during when I'm watching Youtube videos. Curently have five tabs open, so would you recommend taking it back? I'm still within my warranty, and I've got a PC World Warranty, so wouldn't cost me anything, I just don't want it suddenly breaking, my old laptop broke twice which was annoying as I use my laptop for college assessments, and sometimes had to restart assessments aha.
I also wouldn't know how to go about repasting my laptop.
I'll start up a game and see how long it takes, I found since I switched the game to windowed mode (stopped it being full screen) it didn't get AS high)

Yeah, well during when I'm watching Youtube videos. Curently have five tabs open, so would you recommend taking it back? I'm still within my warranty, and I've got a PC World Warranty, so wouldn't cost me anything, I just don't want it suddenly breaking, my old laptop broke twice which was annoying as I use my laptop for college assessments, and sometimes had to restart assessments aha.
I also wouldn't know how to go about repasting my laptop.

Repasting is pretty easy, really. But like I said, it'd void your warranty.

I'll start up a game and see how long it takes, I found since I switched the game to windowed mode (stopped it being full screen) it didn't get AS high)

Could you also post the model # of the laptop?

Back
Top Bottom