HP elitebook 8560w 8GB or 16GB?

jfenwick

Fully Optimized
So long story short I ended up getting an elitebook 8560w this week and it needs ram. Just wondering if I should get 8gb or 16gb. This is a do-everything-I-need-you-to-do laptop. I was shopping for a gaming rig but life intervened and now I need it to be a work machine I can use to demonstrations with...so no alienware! lol.

Ok, so the most taxing things I can think of doing with it would be:
- Running a movie on the 47" TV from it while doing work on laptop
- Playing some games, mostly Dota2, maybe some others but really just dota2.
- Dual monitor setup (triple if possible), for database management, not really system taxing other than having the 3 monitors to keep multiple windows open at the same time.

So does it make any sense getting 16bg or just go with 8gb?

8 would be fine for most of that; but the 16 would be beneficial for development if that's what you're doing DB management-wise.

I think getting 16GB would be better as you are planning for the future because at the rate recommended game specs are going up 16GB would be beneficial.

Thanks guys, yeah the database management isn't that complicated or resource demanding. It's not your typical "database" and isn't worth breaking down in detail to better analyze needs. Really the most demanding component of it is that to efficiently run it I need 3 monitors up in order to keep all the necessary windows open. It's doesn't tax the system requirements other than in that respect.

I'll probably go with 16GB, I'm very much a man of "You can never have too much of a good thing" but most likely by the time I get to a game that will need 16GB the laptop will not be able to handle it. I don't even have time for the 1 or 2 games I try and play now! During the work day (ironically the least busy time of my day) there is occasionally down time (1-2 hours at a time) while waiting for things to align. During those occasions I'd like to have the option to break out the laptop and play a quick game in the car.

Back
Top Bottom