HP dv8t VS Alienware M15x

Status
Not open for further replies.

jasonhtml

Baseband Member
I've been searching around and I can't find much information on comparisons between the two.

I made a build of each on their websites:

dv8t: ($1,300)
i7-720QM (1.6GHz, 6MB cache) (2.8 GHz Turbo Boost)
1GB Nvidia GeForce GT 230M
4GB DDR3
640GB 7200RPM SATA Dual Hard Drive (320GB x 2)
18.4" (1920x1080p) Ultra BrightView Infinity Display

m15x: ($1,700)
i7 740QM (1.73GHz, 6MB cache) (2.93GHz Turbo Mode)
1GB GDDR3 NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 260M
4GB DDR3
250GB SATAII 7,200RPM
15.6" 1920x1080 (1080p) WLED

The biggest difference is probably the graphics cards. I've heard the 260M is quite a bit better than the 230M, but I can't be sure.

I really like the larger screen on the dv8t, even though it might be harder to carry around.

So, is it worth the extra money for the m15x? One of my main concerns is heat. While sifting through reviews, I always read how just about all laptops these days have heat issues, so I could never get a feel for which are the worst offenders.

Also, is there anything else that I should be concerned about for either one? In terms of support, noise, mechanical weaknesses, ect?

And a bit of a side question: Is turbo boost more of a marketing gimmick, or do they really overclock on the fly, as specified?

Thanks,
Jason

EDIT:
I can across these as well, they are in my price range and seem to have better specs than both of what I listed:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Productcompare.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100006740%20600003982%20600004420%20600004661&IsNodeId=1&bop=And&CompareItemList=32|34-114-804^34-114-804-TS%2C34-220-700^34-220-700-TS

Maybe one of these is a better buy than the dv8t or m15x?

DO NOT buy the HP DV series. They are known to fail soon after warranty ends.

Don't buy that Alienware. Other than the M11x, Alienware is overpriced.

Heat will always be a problem. Notice laptops are light and flat? They use up all the space in their cases.

You need to edit that NewEgg link.

I would highly recommend an ASUS or Toshiba.

alrighty then. dv8t and m15x scratched off the list. thanks.

as for the newegg link, it was to a comparison. here are the 2 laptops: (consequently one is asus and the other is toshiba :p)
Newegg.com - ASUS G Series G51JX-X1 NoteBook Intel Core i7 720QM(1.60GHz) 15.6" 4GB Memory DDR3 1066 500GB HDD 7200rpm DVD Super Multi NVIDIA GeForce GTS 360M
Newegg.com - TOSHIBA Qosmio X505-Q875 NoteBook Intel Core i7 720QM(1.60GHz) 18.4" 6GB Memory DDR3 1066 320GB HDD 7200rpm BD Combo NVIDIA GeForce GTS 360M

So the question now becomes, is that toshiba worth the extra money over the asus?

it has less HD space but more ram so it comes down to do you multi task more than you store?

IMO I'd get the Toshiba because ram is a lot easier to upgrade and that 500GB drive is a good deal.

But both hold their own.

alienware is not OVER priced it has a price prenium that is not always worth it and i don,t know where you configured that m15x but i can setup one that's more powerfull and cost less quite esealy

get a 740QMas cpu
and a ati 5850 as gpu it leaves the 260 and the 360 in the dust
leave the rest of your m15x config as you posted and upgrade the rest later as needs is shown upgrading ram and HDD is quite eseay
this place the m15x just 100$ higher then the toshiba but with much better performances

also alienware's new line don,t have any overheating issue they run ridiculously cold for laptops but they have thier share of issue like the rest of the laptops
but as long as you don't alucinate that the laptops should work flawlesly out of the box you will not regret your purchace

i sugest you take a look over the notebookreview.com forum befor making your choice if you go alienware all issues on alienware's systems and the ways to fix them are being documented by a huge base of enthousiast so you will know in what you are jumping befor doing it(i think it's the same for all brand but i never really took the time to look over the other forums there is adrealy so much activity going on in the alienware section)

personaly i'd go toshiba over asus any days but you must know that no mater wich laptop you chose bee it the alienware the toshiba or the asus these specific models WILL have trouble updating the gpu driver so if gaming and 3d perf is important for you it comes down to wich of these brand push it's own drivers out the fastes

well, i dug a bit more into the reviews of these two laptops to find some pleasant (and unpleasant) surprises:

ASUS G51JX-X1 has a slightly newer counterpart, G51JX-A1. It might be worth getting. Also, the newer X1's and A1's come with 1333mhz ram as opposed to 1066 as advertised! :D However, as I'm more interested in specs than looks, I completely missed the cheesy art on the outside. As the art isn't THAT bad, this laptop is currently on my "maybe list"
TOSHIBA Qosmio X505-Q875 reviews are VERY disappointing. Issues left and right, mostly due to terrible drivers, bad support, and crashes galore. I'll be avoiding this laptop. Too bad, I really wanted that 18" screen :/

As you guys appear to like Lenovo and MSI, I'm going to look them up (I've never owned one, so I'm a bit unfamiliar with their products)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom