HP DV2-1039wm laptop running like a slideshow (only slower) when unplugged... - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Laptops and Notebooks
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 05-23-2011, 01:22 AM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default HP DV2-1039wm laptop running like a slideshow (only slower) when unplugged...

I have an HP DV2-1039wm laptop that, for the longest while, has been running great. However, when I run the laptop off of battery it slows waaaaaaay down. I'm assuming it's a power saver/processor issue that's gotten more...saving...ish...since I got it?

Here's the downlow:
On battery, my processor is working 100% (according to my lovely Rainmeter skin). It's also running at (I only just now saw this) 96MHz. Thaaaaaat...sounds really bad.

I haven't messed with any settings lately and I'm not running too much in the background. I also have my power saver options in Windows 7 set to not care how much battery life it consumes when on battery.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 05-23-2011, 09:43 AM   #2 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description

Send a message via MSN to MindoverMaster
Default Re: HP DV2-1039wm laptop running like a slideshow (only slower) when unplugged...

You might want to disable Cool and Quiet in your BIOS, it is used to save power when not in use.

Old 05-23-2011, 07:08 PM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default Re: HP DV2-1039wm laptop running like a slideshow (only slower) when unplugged...

The BIOS is actually really, really limited on what can be changed. Boot order, date, time, passwords, fan always on, yadda yadda. The very baseline for a BIOS. Although, I think I figured it out.

The fan is set to "Always On", but I don't hear a fun running and I don't feel any exhaust on the bottom of the laptop. Soooooo...I think my fan is either tangled or dead. Which blows. Though, I find it funny that the laptop lets you run as hot as you want to when it's plugged into the wall. Thank you, HP. 'preciate'cha.
Old 05-23-2011, 08:42 PM   #4 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description

Send a message via MSN to MindoverMaster

I'd locate the fan and make sure it's working. Could be damaging your CPU that way.
Old 05-25-2011, 12:40 AM   #5 (permalink)
Newb Techie

I went in and cleaned it out. There was a lot of dust clogging up the fan. The computer doesn't run like crap anymore, although I can see that the processor is bouncing from 800 and 1600 MHz like crazy. Just non-stop bounce. The fan is intermittently making some noise, so I think it still might be going out and the exhaust for the fan doesn't feel too terribly exhaust-y.

I ordered another fan and, hopefully, all is fixed.
Closed Thread