HP Compaq Presario V6000 WIreless Card Problem

Kaloustaphae

Beta member
A colleague at work recently gave me her old Compaq Presario V6000 laptop, which she didn't want as it had a dead battery, no AC adapter and a dead wireless card. She had long since replaced it and gave it to me on the basis that if I could use it, it was better than having it gather dust in her attic.

I got a replacement adapter and battery and managed to get internet access with the use of a dongle (which is old and slow btw). I replaced the Windows Vista OS with Linux Ubuntu as well. Last week I decided to tackle the last problem properly and get a replacement wireless PCI card, as I read that the particular model of laptop is prone to limited component lifespan due to poor cooling.

So I got the replacement card and inserted it, but still no wireless without the dongle. Does anyone have any ideas? The chip I bought was used but guaranteed as tested and working from a reputable seller. The wireless switch turns from orange to blue when I switch it on - indicating the wireless feature is active - but no other activity can be seen. With it being Linux Ubuntu, I shouldn't need any drivers, right?

Anyway, thanks in advance for any advice!

Back
Top Bottom