HP Battery Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wheel Jack

Beta member
I'm looking at a friends HP Pavillion dv6105us laptop, and when the battery's plugged in the battery power only shows 68% charge while charging. However, when the power cord is removed or even moved around the laptop will shut down completely. Any suggestions?

Are you able to wiggle the connector around while it is plugged into the laptop? If you are, then I'd say the jack on the board is broken and would need to be repaired. Could be why it's shutting down (a short possibly) when unplugged or moved.

Are you able to wiggle the connector around while it is plugged into the laptop? If you are, then I'd say the jack on the board is broken and would need to be repaired. Could be why it's shutting down (a short possibly) when unplugged or moved.

No, I can barely touch the power cord and it will shut off.

I ran the HP Battery Check and it shows good health and high storage capacity, but it could be a false positive.

IMO it'd be more of an actual connector problem with the AC jack than the battery being bad, if you can just touch the power cord and it turns off. Is the laptop still under warranty?

Doubt it, it's a 2002 version.

I'll recommend getting a new AC adapter and go from there, thanks.

Its not the actual AC adapter that is the problem, its the jack on the laptop itself that is most likely the problem. If it wiggles around while plugged inside the laptop jack, then its busted.

Either send it in to HP and get it repaired for labor/parts costs, or attempt to crack it open yourself and fix it if you're confident enough.

I am going to second what carnage said... I was one of the only ones in my area that could easily work on laptops because I knew how to solder, well it is USUALY the jack, or charging system that is shot. No it isn't easy to fix because 90% of the time you will either burn the board and the several traces that are around the jack, or you will start to melt the jack...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom