hp 8510p: error @ CS:S video stress test after mobility modded radeon mobility HD2600 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Laptops and Notebooks
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 07-05-2008, 10:29 PM   #1 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Default hp 8510p: error @ CS:S video stress test after mobility modded radeon mobility HD2600

after reading some very negative comments about the video drivers offered by HP for mobility radeon HD2600 on my 8510p notebook, i decided to use the mobility modder by driverheaven.net. after doing everything following the instructions, i rebooted and started steam (counter strike source) and started the video stress test (in order to compare the fps with the test done some hour ago with the HP drivers). then an error message regarding the "device driver" appeared, followed by an "the instruction at... the memory could not be "read"." error. when trying the video stress test again, counter strike source just disappears now..

when trying to play the old counter strike, it says the video mode is not supported, will use software mode.

any advices about how to optimize my drivers/gfx performance (without using any omega drivers etc.). hope, i can avoid those HP drivers..

hp 8510p (gb967ea)
win xp pro sp3
mmodded ati display driver & ccc 8.6

thank you

Old 07-06-2008, 05:39 AM   #2 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

Default Re: hp 8510p: error @ CS:S video stress test after mobility modded radeon mobility HD

Does Microsoft have any drivers?

Old 07-06-2008, 06:28 AM   #3 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Default Re: hp 8510p: error @ CS:S video stress test after mobility modded radeon mobility HD

no, ati's mobility cards are only supported for a small amount of manufacturers by ati itself. others (like HP) have their own drivers. since theyre far behind of whats up-to-date (last hp driver from early 2008, and last ati driver is from june 18) and deliver significantly poorer performances than original ati drivers (and cause sometimes errors, too), one has to use modified drivers - best choice using mobility modder since it is applied to original desktop drivers of the corresponding card.

this is what ive done, but there are so many errors all the time.. i also looked at the steam support sites (steampowered.com) - for exactly those errors i experience they recommend "updating video card drivers" - well, id like to do that..
Closed Thread