How's this laptop for gaming?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Necrokat

Solid State Member
hello, and good to be here. i need some advice. by Googling, i'm finding no reviews or info on this...

Micro Center - Toshiba Satellite L755-S5258 Laptop Computer - Matrix Graphite PSK1WU-05N004

wife's wanting to get this, but i'd like it to play some games. like maybe Fallout 3 and New Vegas. i'm a PC noob. is it capable of playing those games on medium to high settings? is it a decent laptop?

if not, is there a laptop out there in a somewhat comparable price range (can be maybe $100 or so more) that'll play games decently? thanks!

that laptop does not have a dedicated graphics card, which means it can only run games on low or lowest settings.

That laptop has integrated graphics. Not the best for games. If you want to stay within that price range, I can suggest something else.

Link

Both the Acers are neck to neck in CPU and GPU performance. They are both points apart in benchmarks. You won't probably notice anything between the two in gaming.

Edit: ninja'd

thank you much MOM! that looks to be a really nice laptop. i hadn't thought Acer to be a good brand but that looks sweet. sounds like the trackpad isn't good but wife'd use a mouse and for my gaming i'd use a Windows 360 controller sometimes.

1. a question about the display tho. 1600 X 900 reso. i'd be gaming w/ this hooked up to my 55" HDTV. would i be able to get better resolutions on my TV that way, or is 1600/900 the best the laptop can output? or is that just what the laptop screen is capable of?

2. oh and you mention "Both the Acers are neck to neck in CPU and GPU performance. They are both points apart in benchmarks."...
i only see 1 Acer in the link you gave. are there supposed to be 2, or were u comparing the Toshiba & Acer?

thanks again for the info and link! for our 1st laptop, i think we'll get that Acer Aspire AS7741G-6426 and a cooling pad. wonder how much to upgrade to 8gb

ah, thanks Infinite. i wasn't seeing the option to show both. i think the 17" $679 seems like a better deal

so can someone answer my question about the resolution? i'll be using this laptop hooked to my 55" hdtv. want to make sure it doesn't look like a huge pixalated mess.

The 1600 x 900 resolution is set to that screen size, not the graphics card. Your 55" will be independent of your laptop screen.

Yeah, that link should give you two Acer models side by side.

In gaming, 4GB RAM is the most you will need. Any higher than 4GB is a waste of money.

thanks again. sorry to resurrect this but got another question. i went ahead and bought the 6426 that MOM recommended...
Newegg.com - Acer Aspire AS7741G-6426 Notebook Intel Core i5 480M(2.66GHz) 17.3" 4GB Memory 640GB HDD 5400rpm DVD Super Multi AMD Radeon HD 6550M

it arrived 2 days ago and it's really nice. it's playing Crysis on all high w/ 2x AA. no lag or stutter. looks awesome on screen and also on the 55" HDTV. the trackball, speakers (we already have speakers and mouse for it) and viewing angle (straight on) aren't very good, but all in all we like it. now of course the day it arrives, someone else shows me this one...
Newegg.com - Acer Aspire AS7750G-6444 Notebook Intel Core i5 2410M(2.30GHz) 17.3" 4GB Memory 640GB HDD 5400rpm DVD Super Multi AMD Radeon HD 6650M

about the same thing but i'm told the CPU is much better and faster. now i got the 6426 at Buy.com for a total of $635 ($649+ $15 off coupon) and the ONLY place that has the 6444 is Newegg at $680. Buy.com has a no question return policy, but i might have to cover shipping 1 or 2 ways. so is it worth sending the 6426 back and paying additional $45 (plus maybe $30ish in shipping) to get the 6444? advice appreciated again! thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom