How would this fair for Gaming

Status
Not open for further replies.

Like2game

Baseband Member
I have a desktop for gaming, but have the opportunity to purchase a laptop on an interest free 3 year loan. The laptop has to be $1700 (CAD) or under before tax. This is what i have picked out so far. I play some fairly intense games like Bad Company 2. I play a lot of CPU intensive games like L4D2 and MW2.

Newegg.ca - ASUS G Series G73JH-X1 NoteBook Intel Core i7 720QM(1.60GHz) 17.3" 8GB Memory 500GB HDD 7200rpm DVD Super Multi ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5870

Not to sure about this entire laptop thing. Some people say they are getting better, but it is embedded in my brain not to ever buy one for more than light tasks. This Asus has an I7 @ 1.6ghz, but it goes up to 2.8ghz in turbo mode or whatever. It also has an ATI Radeon 5870. I know the graphics card can not be quite the same as the desktop version of the 5870, but i don't know what desktop GPU it would even compare to.

One other concern i have is sound quality. I need 3D sound in the games i play. I know the laptop won't have anywhere near the quality i am looking for. i am okay with purchasing a surround sound headset or some sort of USB sound-card device, but i have no idea what to really look for, and what will be compatible.

If you're going to be using this for gaming, and by the sounds of how bulky you're going to make it (headset, usb sound card), you might as well just update your desktop.

Nah I wasn't really saying that(even though it's true)...just saying if you're going to have a laptop with a bunch of add ons you won't be able to move it..so why not just get a better or upgrade your desktop

I was referring to what you said plus the above. But yes, it is the truth, the whole truth, nothing but the truth...

That laptop will kill games...... And if you're looking for a gaming laptop, it's a sweet deal............

BUT if you have a Gaming desktop, I wouldn't get in debt to get a it.

Yah i was doing some reading for a few hours last night on things. Apparently the Mobility HD 5870 is slightly less powerful than a desktop 5770. That is not really impressing me. For a little under $200 i could get a top tier USB headset with 3d sound. That wouldn't be that hard to lug around. But for $200 i could buy one of the best desktop gaming sound cards in the world.

I can't use the money to buy parts or upgrades. It is a bonus for all government employees. A 3 year interest free loan for a pre-built desktop or laptop. I mean my payments would have only been $47 a month. I might just pass and use the $47 a month to buy a pizza and case of beer every month for the next 3 years lol. Still not entirely sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom