Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Horrible

• No Clue

• Total voters

Renegade Ares

Solid State Member
Hi guys, I've been on here a few times recently asking about the Dell XPS 15, but I just found a laptop that can blast the pants off the XPS, for a tad less in the price area. It's the MSI GE60 0NC-006US. Neither me, nor my IT teacher at school has ever heard anything about MSI before. I'm trying to do extensive research on them to make sure they're a reputable company and that the build quality is good. As far as customer support goes, I don't imagine I'll need a lot, seeing as I'm going to college for Computer Hardware Engineering, and I have techie friends and there's plenty of computer shops. But overall, how is MSI? Thanks for responding.

MSI, in comparison to? I'm sure alot of others will agree, ASUS is king. Next in line I would look at Lenovo, Acer, Toshiba. Then at MSI. MSI, IMO, is like the middle man. Not the best, but not the worst. HP is like the worst. All in my opinion, but I've known people that had HP and they were happy.

But with laptops, all of it is specs. type of monitor, CPU, GPU, RAM, HDD/SDD. One might be slightly better in parts than another.

All these reviews are not on the laptops themselves. You can have the same setup on both systems and one will have a problem, the other won't. It all comes down to workmanship. Did they cut corners to make theirs any cheaper?

Whenever you buy a laptop, research, research, research. Don't just look at Newegg reviews. Look at professional reviews. And several, see where it falls in.

Most people I've talked to so far, have all said that MSI makes great gaming laptops. And some went as far to say that they are 1st tier. I won't be gaming on it a ton, but Gaming Laptops may be geared towards gaming, but its the hardware that matters, and the hardware can do whatever it wants. I've tried looking at ASUS, but their website has no "buy" or any pricing options on it, and it's horribly set up, I can't seem to figure out how to find anything on it.

Most people I've talked to so far, have all said that MSI makes great gaming laptops. And some went as far to say that they are 1st tier. I won't be gaming on it a ton, but Gaming Laptops may be geared towards gaming, but its the hardware that matters, and the hardware can do whatever it wants. I've tried looking at ASUS, but their website has no "buy" or any pricing options on it, and it's horribly set up, I can't seem to figure out how to find anything on it.

I had picked out an MSI laptop over a year ago for a friend, was top of the line, had two 500GB HDD's in RAID 0, forgot the GPU, but it was a rather nice Nvidia GPU with 1GB of dedicated GDDR4/5 (forgot which), a mobile i7 @ 3.4Ghz, depending on if "turbo" was on or not.

All in all, it was an AMAZING laptop for the $1100 he dropped on it, very large, thick and sturdy, and the entire bottom panel came off for access to HDD's, RAM, GPU, removable heatsink fans and even easy access to remove the GPU and CPU heatsinks for a good deep cleaning. But that was his laptop.

But I have seen my fair share of MSI issues, mostly with pre-built computers. They make great motherboards for normal users though, one of the better brands, I have used them since 2002, with only one failure, and that was due to the infamous nvidia nforce 3 series that seems to have had failure rates that was a bit, high.

all i know about MSI is their parts for which i can say they are excellent, i've had an MSI board in my desktop for 4 years, on continously and nothings gone wrong so far :p

they also had great success with their MSI WIND, which was the first small netbook PC on the market. then asus brought out their eeepc to try and hit dat market.

or maybe it was the other way around.... either way i heard better things about the wind

I'm using an MSI motherboard right now, used a K9A (580x chipset) in the past, and had an MSI 7900gt gpu (i think? it was years ago now) and haven't had any problems. My motherboard houses a 2500k and I've overclocked it up to 5ghz and thrown tons of voltage (definitely into the non-advisable levels) and I haven't had a single problem with it. I would definitely recommend them, but as carnage said (btw how's it going man :p) asus seems to make a bit nicer gaming grade laptops, but the MSI Winds are nice laptops

I'm using an MSI motherboard right now, used a K9A (580x chipset) in the past, and had an MSI 7900gt gpu (i think? it was years ago now) and haven't had any problems. My motherboard houses a 2500k and I've overclocked it up to 5ghz and thrown tons of voltage (definitely into the non-advisable levels) and I haven't had a single problem with it. I would definitely recommend them, but as carnage said (btw how's it going man :p) asus seems to make a bit nicer gaming grade laptops, but the MSI Winds are nice laptops

Haha it's going, been busy with school and work (seems you were the same way); on summer break so now I've just been working and have had a bit more time to myself.

MSI makes good motherboards, but I got to use a laptop before I made my decision between a MSI or an Asus, and the Asus had far better craftsmanship, IMHO. Maybe I'm a bit biased; I'm typing this on an Asus. :whistle:

Back
Top Bottom