how to re- install windows 7

lucypope1572

Beta member
I bought windows 7 not too long ago, but my laptop now has the blue screen of death and I cannot run windows. I have got a backup CD, of all the folders and files that I found in my hardrive under a folder called windows. On this CD it contains a lot of folders and a lot of files. So does any know what files I would need to re install windows on the same laptop that I brought it with. Or is there any other way of re installing the windows that I brought, if so how would i do this

If you have your restore discs, just boot off of the disc and step through the procedure.

HOWEVER, this will usually just wipe your hard drive and reinstall the factory image that was on there. If you have any files you want to KEEP, then copy all of the files to an external hard drive, flash drive, burn them to a disc, etc.

Usually, such files of importance are all under your user folder, under:
C:\Users\<your_username_here>

The folders I usually backup for people are:
Desktop
Downloads
Documents
Favorites
Music
Pictures
Videos

Those folders will usually contain what the average user wants backed up. If you have anything saved anywhere else however, you also need to backup those files.

You need to remove all the partitions and make the drive raw then create new 1s... the partition of win xp is slightly different to 7 so if you try installing on to a win 7 created 1 the install will fail.

Boot off the xp disk continue past the eula and then remove the partitions.
if its a large drive then create 2 new 1s max. reason being it reduces fragmentation if you use the drive as storage as well as primary boot. its not mandatory just a suggestion to help reduce the amount of time you spend defraging.

You need to remove all the partitions and make the drive raw then create new 1s... the partition of win xp is slightly different to 7 so if you try installing on to a win 7 created 1 the install will fail.

Boot off the xp disk continue past the eula and then remove the partitions.
if its a large drive then create 2 new 1s max. reason being it reduces fragmentation if you use the drive as storage as well as primary boot. its not mandatory just a suggestion to help reduce the amount of time you spend defraging.

OP isn't trying to install XP... he is trying to reinstall Win7. Also, this is a fairly old thread and the OP hasn't responded since he first posted.

Back
Top Bottom