How to modify the dell BIOS admin password?? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Laptops and Notebooks
Closed Thread
Old 06-22-2010, 01:58 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default How to modify the dell BIOS admin password??

I have some problem related to my dell inspiron6400 laptop... I have some hardware issues. To solve that i need to enter into the BIOS and get the authority to modify it. But I don't know what the BIOS admin password is since it is set by the dell inc. I have tried the backdoor password techniques and and even the egyptian hak software to get rid of password (hopefully, egyptian hak gets rid of user password and guest but not admin). It's proving me to be an uphill task. As you are a software guru, will you be able to figure it out for me please. I would be more than delighted.

By the way, i dont wanna open my laptop n do any harm to it as its my only laptop and don't wanna use it as guinea pig.

Old 06-22-2010, 02:35 PM   #2 (permalink)
The Almighty Forensica
Default Re: How to modify the dell BIOS admin password??

You could find the latest BIOS for the laptop, and flash it with that.

After that your last hope is to open the laptop up, and remove the BIOS battery - assuming that there is one. Keep it out of the laptop for a minute or two, put it back in, reassemble laptop. It's a difficult and risky process, though, which you've said you don't want to do.

Perhaps you could phone Dell up to find the password? Or the previous owner, if there was one.

Desktop i5-4440 - ASRock Z77 Extreme4 - EVGA GTX970 - 4x4GB 1600MHz - Samsung 850 EVO 250GB - Be Silent Base 800 - 3TB+1TB+640GB
Laptop i7-3740QM @ 2.7GHz, 2x4GB 1600Mhz, GT640M, OCZ Agility 3 120GB
Smartphone HTC One M8 - Sense 7 - 6.0

Uni MSci Ethical Hacking, Coventry University
Work Trainee Cell Site Analyst
LinkedIn Kiera Mitchell
Old 06-23-2010, 11:09 AM   #3 (permalink)
Call me Mak or K
Mod Emeritus
Default Re: How to modify the dell BIOS admin password??

Dell doesn't set the BIOS password. They are blank by default. I have 2 Dell's and i have set the password myself. It did not come with a password set. If you are certain that Dell set the password, then check your manual and all your paperwork. It will have to be listed as they cant close off the BIOS to users.

In the chance that you still cant find it, you must contact them. We are not going to help someone hack a computer. Even if it is their own. As there is no way that it can be proved on the internet that it is yours and that you are who you say you are. As it can be easily forged.

This falls under Rule #5 of the site.

Topic Closed.
I do not accept support questions via EMail, PM, IM or my G+ page!

Phone: LG Optimus G Pro
Running: Stock JB from LG with Nova Launcher

Closed Thread