How to Increase Wireless Signal Strength ??? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Laptops and Notebooks
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 05-29-2008, 10:34 AM   #1 (permalink)
True Techie

Question How to Increase Wireless Signal Strength ???

I have an IBM T31 with built in WiFi. I need to know how I can increase the signal (reception) strength.

The obvious stuff has been done. Move as close as possible to the signal source etc...

Is there some type of external (USB) adapter available for laptops that will INCREASE the WiFi signal strength (dbi) ??

BTW, I don't have control over the router's output signal.

Old 05-29-2008, 10:47 AM   #2 (permalink)
Master Techie

Send a message via AIM to NightSurge
Default Re: How to Increase Wireless Signal Strength ???

There are USB adapters that you can look into, or broadband cards. I know I saw a DIY on Lifehacker.com where they took a USB wireless adapter and added almost like a small antenna to it and it was supposed to increase reception quite a bit. Mostly, though, the strength will be determined by the source. Meaning, if you are as close to the source as you can get, and the source is broadcasting as far as it is able, then there is nothing much you can do.

You could always get a better wireless router that has farther range capabilities, but as far as improving reception, that would rely on improving the range and signal quality of the wireless router.

If I was helpful, please click the icon on the left hand side of this message that looks like a check mark Thanks!

Old 05-29-2008, 10:52 AM   #3 (permalink)
True Techie

Unhappy Re: How to Increase Wireless Signal Strength ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by surgeVel View Post
You could always get a better wireless router that has farther range capabilities, but as far as improving reception, that would rely on improving the range and signal quality of the wireless router.
That's the problem. It's not my router.
Old 05-29-2008, 11:27 AM   #4 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

Directional antennas will help. Or put a range expander in between the router and computer.
Old 05-29-2008, 11:42 AM   #5 (permalink)
Master Techie

Send a message via AIM to NightSurge

Whoops, I'm sorry, I read that as "I DO have control over the router". In that case, your best options would be as Kurrent said or to try the DIY USB wireless receiver. Let me see if I can find a link...

EDIT: I can't find the DIY link, but that was ages ago. Here are two USB powered range extenders that you can look into for starters:
Cool Tool: Wi-Fire Range Extender

Alfa 500mW USB Wireless B/G Adapter with RP-SMA (threaded) Antenna Jack. Antenna included.

If I was helpful, please click the icon on the left hand side of this message that looks like a check mark Thanks!

Old 05-29-2008, 01:56 PM   #6 (permalink)
Call me Mak or K
Mod Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katmandu View Post
That's the problem. It's not my router.
If you do not have control over the router or anything like that means you are trying to seal WiFi from someone else. Which is illegal and against our forum policy to discuss.

Closed.

If you are in a hotspot that would be a very different story but since you did not make any remarks as to that i have to make the call to close this.

If you wish to contact me Via PM to discuss this matter that is fine. But for future reference matters of this sort that are questionable at best will be closed in this manner. We at Tech-Forums do not promote or discuss such matters. Thank you.

Phone: LG Optimus G Pro
Running: Stock JB from LG with Nova Launcher

Closed Thread