Help transfering harddrive contents on a non working laptop into the new laptop - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Laptops and Notebooks
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 07-25-2007, 03:20 AM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default Help transfering harddrive contents on a non working laptop into the new laptop

My current laptop no longer turns on but I am receiving a replacement soon. However I need to transfer the contents of the hard drive from the current laptop into the new hard drive of the replacement. How can I do this when the old laptop no longer turns on? I know that I can just unscrew the hard drive and place it into the replacement laptop but is there any other way of doing this? Please let me know. Thanks in advance for your help.

Old 07-25-2007, 06:59 AM   #2 (permalink)
Web Programmer

Default Re: Help transfering harddrive contents on a non working laptop into the new laptop

im not sure about laptop hard drives, but are they the same size and form factor as a desktop hard drive? if so then you can just plug it in to a desktop and plug in another blank hard drive, and use hard drive cloning software to transfer the enitre hard drive to the other one. i dont know of any such software but im sure you know how to use google

Web Developer Portfolio
Old 07-25-2007, 07:05 AM   #3 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

Default Re: Help transfering harddrive contents on a non working laptop into the new laptop

Laptop size are small than desktops. You cant put it in your desktop because windows has installed it self to the laptop config, specs. no hard drive ca just be plugged in to any desktop, unless you reinstall windows. You need to say more about the non working laptop, like whats wrong with it.
Old 07-25-2007, 10:24 AM   #4 (permalink)
Newb Techie

thanks for the responses so far
Old 07-25-2007, 10:58 AM   #5 (permalink)
Lord Techie

you might have to try useing a external hard drive case to recover the data from the drive in question but I am no expert on data recovery. you may need to use some kind of data recovery software to get the data from the disk.

Want to do even more? Take a look here and join the fight on human trafficking.

Hear and you forget, see and you remember, do and you understand.

Old 07-25-2007, 11:04 AM   #6 (permalink)
Web Programmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay_bo View Post
Laptop size are small than desktops. You cant put it in your desktop because windows has installed it self to the laptop config, specs. no hard drive ca just be plugged in to any desktop, unless you reinstall windows.
well no i didnt say she had to run windows, i said she only needed to have it on a desktop so that she can use the software. you can get software that can clone a disk that you use to boot on. only when windows has booted up will she have to worry about stuff like that.

Quote:
You need to say more about the non working laptop, like whats wrong with it.
okay then whats your suggestion? clearly you cant read, because she was ASKING how to clone a disk NOT fix her freaking laptop. so please dont treat me like an idiot i dont need instruction on posting, okay? what good is fixing her laptop if shes already waiting to get a replacement?

Web Developer Portfolio
Closed Thread