Help picking out a new laptop!

Status
Not open for further replies.

k-t-9-1

Beta member
Hello,
I am a new registered user here and I am in the market trying to find a new laptop as my SONY VAIO SR-190 is now lagging on me and not helping me finish my work, but holding me back! My budget is around $1500. I am looking for a thin, light, portable laptop, with sleek designs, a fast processor and graphics card since I am a average gamer (possibly a new MMORPG somewhere down the line of this year or the next. No need for an over the top model, but just enough processing power to keep me up-to-date). I also like multi-tasking, A LOT so multiple cores or whatever works (e-mails, youtube, movies, forums, news, websites, chats, all that the same time, so enough to work this all without lag or delay).

The three laptops, or models, I am interested in right now are the following:

Samsung Series 9 Notebook NP900X3A
~$1600 (NON-CUSTOMIZABLE)
https://secureus.samsung.com/us/computer/laptops/NP900X3A-A03US
SPECS:
Processor
Intel® Core™ i5 Processor 2537M
Operating System
Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium (64b)
Display
LED HD Screen
13.3" Screen
Graphics
Intel® HD Graphics 3000
Memory
4GB DDR3 System Memory
8 GB Max. System Memory
Storage
128 GB Solid State Drive
Multimedia
3 W Stereo Speaker (1.5 W x 2) with HD Audio
1.3 MP HD Webcam
Communication
802.11abg/n WiDi Capable
Bluetooth V3.0 High Speed
I/O Ports
HDMI Input
Headphone Jack
Mic-in
1 MicroSD Slot
RJ45 LAN
3 USB Ports (1 Chargeable)
Input Devices
81 Key Keyboard
Touch Pad
Security
Samsung Recovery Solution
Power
40 Watt AC Adapter
6-Cell Lithium Ion
Design
Duralumin Design
Dimensions
12.9" (W) x 8.9" (D) x 0.62" ~ 0.64" (H)
Weight
2.88 lbs. with Standard Battery

SONY VAIO VPCS1390X
~$1500 (WITH ALL UPGRADES EXCEPT SSD)
~$2300 (WITH SSD)
VPCS1390X | S Series Configure-to-Order | Sony | Sony Style USA
SPECS:
Intel® Core™ i5-580M processor (2.66GHz) with Turbo Boost up to 3.33GHz
Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium 64-bit
Black
500 GB Hard Disk Drive (5400rpm)
OR 256GB (256GBx1) Solid State Drive (+$860)
8GB (4GBx2) DDR3-SDRAM-1066
CD/DVD Player / Burner (Blu-ray available)
13.3" VAIO Display (1366x768)
Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator HD
OR NVIDIA® GeForce® 310M GPU (512MB VRAM) (+50)

SONY VAIO VPCSB1AGX/B
~$1500 (NON-CUSTOMIZABLE)
13.3" Core i7 Laptop | VAIO® S Series Laptop | VPCSB1AGX/B | Sony USA
SPECS:
Processor
Cache : 4MB
Speed : 2.70GHz1 with Turbo Boost Technology11 up to 3.40GHz1
Technology : Dual Core
Type : Intel® Core™ i7-2620M
Memory:
Installed : 6GB
Type/Speed : DDR3-1333MHz
Maximum : 8GB
Graphics
Processor : AMD Radeonâ„¢ HD 6630M
Video RAM : 1GB dedicated
Display
Back Light Technology : LED
Resolution : 1366 x 768
Screen Size : 13.3"
Hard Drive
Capacity : 500GB + 4GB SLC Hybrid2
Speed : DDR3-1333MHz
Technology : 7200rpm Hybrid
Type : HDD Hybrid

SO, these are the 3 laptops I am currently considering, as I like how the designs are on each model and the power behind them. If anyone can help me, please give me exact details and information, as why what laptop is better and where is it better (i.e. graphics, processor)

I am considering the 1st option because of the amazing design and new innovation, the only problem I have is that the processor is only 1.4 GHz and I'm afraid that won't let me multi-task much, as it is somewhat a netbook, like the macbook air. Am I right to be concerned about this? I'd love to have something that thin and light to carry around (UNDER 3 POUNDS) but I'm just worried about the power behind it. Am I paying $1600 just for design, or am I getting my money's worth with this low processor?

The 2nd option I am considering because of the power behind it and how much I can customize it, I would love to get all the upgrades, but I am unsure of the SSD over HDD upgrade. $800!? Ouch... What benefits does SSD have over HDD and it is especially worth it?

The 3rd option is just one I thought of throwing in because it has an Core i7 and generally what I want.

What laptop would YOU recommend I buy out of these 3? I don't really like any other brands, especially no dells or toshibas please but I'll consider others if they are worth the money and power behind it, AND STILL LOOKS SLEEK AND BEAUITFUL!
If you would pick one of these 3, can you tell me WHY, what pros does it have over others and what cons?

I apologize for so much information, but $1500 is a lot of money for me (college student, no job, parents are loaded at all) so I want to know what I am paying for and if I get my money's worth!

Thank you again!
-Kenny

You could have just posted the link. We could look at the information there. ;)

To your question, Ghz alone does not make one laptop better than the other. It has other factors as well.

I would go with the first one. But there are much better options out there for cheaper.

Toshibas are actually good, but for what you want, it gets rather heavy.

I love ASUS though. My computer motherboard and my laptop is ASUS.

I own this one: Newegg.com - Recertified: ASUS UL80 Series UL80J-BBK5 NoteBook Intel Core i3 330UM(1.20GHz) 14" 4GB Memory DDR3 1066 500GB HDD 5400rpm DVD Super Multi NVIDIA GeForce 310M
It is recertified, but an awesome all-around laptop.

Really? For what reason would you be picking the first one though..? What does the first option have over the other 2 choices?
I asked a few of my friends and they said the integrated graphics card is absolutely terrible, but you're saying that choice is actually the best!
Well the above everything else, I wanted a sleek design such as these 3, and Toshibas usually are large, awkward, and clunky. Something like the HP Envy 13 is also nice looking, but too bad those models have been getting horrible reviews :(
That ASUS is somewhat just too average looking even if you say that it's a great deal, I'm sorry I'm just really picky!
Would it just be better to get the 2nd choice with low customizations then and save on all the extra money?
Thank you, by the way!
-Kenny

My mistake. I meant the third one. Tabs were backwards. :p

The reason being, it has the best CPU out of the lot. The Radeon is better than the Geforce as well. Got information off charts.

Okay that makes a lot more sense now, haha, so your choice is the third one.
What are the cons with the first and second choice?
Is only the processor better on the third choice, or is it just all-around better in all aspects even though it's not customizable, since max upgrades on the 2nd choice is the same price as the third choice, would you still pick the third?

The second and third CPU are very close together.

The graphic card, however is not. The geforce is rated number 80. The Radeon is marked number 20. See the gap?

The third has faster RAM than the rest, at 1333.

Hybrid drives, third has as well, are actually better than SSDs. In that, it has some hardware moving parts in it. SSDs have a limit on how many times it can be written.

I would pick the third from the rest. While not configurable, it is a good all round system.

Exactly what I needed to hear, thank you so much for the help! I appreciate it very much MindoverMaster! :)

The second and third CPU are very close together.

The graphic card, however is not. The geforce is rated number 80. The Radeon is marked number 20. See the gap?

The third has faster RAM than the rest, at 1333.

Hybrid drives, third has as well, are actually better than SSDs. In that, it has some hardware moving parts in it. SSDs have a limit on how many times it can be written.

I would pick the third from the rest. While not configurable, it is a good all round system.

I don't think they are better SSD's!

Mass, SSD's aren't all the hype. They're still new. And that CPU and GFX on the Samsung are crap.

I didn't mean they are better, I meant that they have a longer life span than SSD's, which make it that much better. I only speak from what I read. Never used them before.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom