Help with a new laptop :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

JaKyJe

Beta member
Hi, guys I'm looking to buy a new laptop. The one I have now is a Acer Aspire 8730, GREAT laptop for the gaming that I do. However, next semester I'm taking a Intro to Windows 7 course, and would like to have a computer with windows 7 on it. (Taking this as an easy elective).

However rather than just buying a laptop for one class, I wanted one that is portable, the one I have now is 20" and wont even fit in my laptop backpack. I'll be taking it to work every day and then to a restaurant with WiFi for anywhere from 4-8 hours while I wait for my girlfriend to get out of her work. I'll be doing light gaming and web browsing, Runescape will probably be the hardest game this thing has to run.

I have a computer in mind and I would prefer to buy off newegg, as I have a card with them that will get me no interest for 12 months if paid in full :). The computer I have in mind is,

Newegg.com - HP Pavilion dv4-2160us NoteBook Intel Core i5 430M(2.26GHz) 14.1" Wide XGA 4GB Memory 320GB HDD 7200rpm DVD Super Multi Intel HD Graphics

Here is a list of things I am looking for:

Price: Prefer not to go much over $650
Gaming: Runscape will be the hardest it will run
Size: Prefer Light and Smaller not very picky but no 18"
Power: I wan't the best value for my $ I really don't want to be lagging doing word processing or Runescape.
If you find a laptop with a splashboard you get extra points

If you guys do end up suggesting the computer I have picked out, is that a decent size? Not to small not to big. I'm use to the 9 pound 20" so 5 pounds and 14" like a very transportable size.

Thanks in advance

Looks like a pretty sweet laptop to me for what you want to do. Have you thought of just buying Win7 and a case for your laptop?

Looks like a pretty sweet laptop to me for what you want to do. Have you thought of just buying Win7 and a case for your laptop?

Yeah, but like I said my laptop is 20" screen 17 1/2 inches wide and weighs 9 pounds. :( Its my "Desktop" I'm looking for something I can bring places or on trips.

Alright. I bring mine everywhere, it's 17" and weighs like 9 pounds or something, just thought I'd offer a cheaper solution.

I have a Lenovo G550
Pros
LED blacklit
4gigs of memory
the onboard i can play sc2 beta on low
2.1 processor

Cons
(webcam sucks ***)
( no dvi plug )
no card reader

Hi, guys I'm looking to buy a new laptop. The one I have now is a Acer Aspire 8730, GREAT laptop for the gaming that I do. However, next semester I'm taking a Intro to Windows 7 course, and would like to have a computer with windows 7 on it. (Taking this as an easy elective).

However rather than just buying a laptop for one class, I wanted one that is portable, the one I have now is 20" and wont even fit in my laptop backpack. I'll be taking it to work every day and then to a restaurant with WiFi for anywhere from 4-8 hours while I wait for my girlfriend to get out of her work. I'll be doing light gaming and web browsing, Runescape will probably be the hardest game this thing has to run.

I have a computer in mind and I would prefer to buy off newegg, as I have a card with them that will get me no interest for 12 months if paid in full :). The computer I have in mind is,

Newegg.com - HP Pavilion dv4-2160us NoteBook Intel Core i5 430M(2.26GHz) 14.1" Wide XGA 4GB Memory 320GB HDD 7200rpm DVD Super Multi Intel HD Graphics

Here is a list of things I am looking for:

Price: Prefer not to go much over $650
Gaming: Runscape will be the hardest it will run
Size: Prefer Light and Smaller not very picky but no 18"
Power: I wan't the best value for my $ I really don't want to be lagging doing word processing or Runescape.
If you find a laptop with a splashboard you get extra points

If you guys do end up suggesting the computer I have picked out, is that a decent size? Not to small not to big. I'm use to the 9 pound 20" so 5 pounds and 14" like a very transportable size.

Thanks in advance

Hi there,

The HP sounds like a great option for what you will be using your laptop for. Another one worth checking out before you decide is the Dell Studio 15. It is also light (5.5 lbs) and has a 2.13 GHz Intel® Core™ i3-330M processor. It is a great multi-media capabilities and similar specs to the HP.

What do you think?

Isabella
MSFT Windows Outreach Team

Dell U-DC can help you save on a new laptop (College Students only!)

Save an additional $50 off systems $699 and above with coupon code: WQQ$MQ0M4JNCWD. Or save $100 off systems $999 and above with coupon code: B980P775CS2Z02. Go to Dell.com/DellU or call 866-914-6077 for details. Offer ends 6/30.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom