Help me Find a Laptop for College

Sumedh Tadimeti

Beta member
Hello,

I am in the market to buy a laptop for college next year. My university, for engineering majors, requires students to buy one of the 5 prescribed computers. Out of those 5 I have narrowed it down the two, but cannot select between them. The two are listed below. Price is a factor, but more importantly I want a laptop that can last long and perform well. Please help me out! I don't want a computer that is only good looking on paper, but one that will actually get the job done.

Dell Precision 5520 ($1,752.28)
Intel Core i7-7820HQ quad core 2.90GHz turbo to 3.90 GHz
Windows 10 Pro
15.6” 1920x1080
16 GB DDRA RAM
M.2 PCIe 256GB SSD Class 40
6-cell (97Wh) battery

OR

New MacBook Pro with Touchbar ($2,179)
Intel Core i5 Dual Core 3.1GHz turbo 3.5 GHz ( I was told by an Apple representative that the i5 on the Mac will be better than the i7 on the Dell, but I am skeptical)
MacOS AND Windows 10
16GB SDRAM
256 Flash Storage (faster than the hard drive on the Dell)
USB C Ports
P.S I heard Macs last for a long time

Please give me advice on where to invest. I was told I will use software such as LabView, Matlab, and SolidWorks. Thanks for all the input!

I would get the Dell if I was you. It has around the same performance and a much lower price.

I would always prefer a PC over a Mac. Go with the Dell, it'll be better in the long run. (Plus it's a lot cheaper with similar specs).

Back
Top Bottom