Help with laptop purchase decision, please.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kitty-Nin

Beta member
I've just enrolled in some online college courses and would like to get a cheap laptop so that I'm able to do them using the internet at a cafe etc. because the internet where I currently live is horribly slow and constantly drops.

Because I don't need this laptop to do a ton of things and have a friend who will build me a very nice desktop PC once I move somewhere with decent internet access, I want to spend very little on this machine, but I do want something that's reasonably fast and reliable.

I've been looking at a refurbished Micron Trasport T2500 which seems like a good machine, and I have found it for $279, at Micron Transport T2500 | UsedLaptops.com and for $299 with 1GB more RAM at Micron Transport T2500 - Intel Core 2 Duo T7500 2.2 GHz - 2 GB RAM - 80 GB HDD - 15.4" Display - DVD / CD-RW - WiFi - Bluetooth - Windows XP Professional Installed The second site also offers a longer warranty and a battery guarantee.

Does anyone have any thoughts/opinions/advice as to which company I should buy from? Has anyone used either of those sites before? Or, is that computer just a poor choice all together? I know a little about computers, but I'm definitely a beginner who's in the process of learning more.

What exactly do you need? I would go with a stronger brand, as Acer or ASUS. You could get a fresh new netbook off Newegg for ~$300.

I need something that can surf the internet, access the GIA student hub and lesson pages, and may or may not need to save documents for school. I've looked a little bit at netbooks, but I've never had the opportunity to use one, don't really know anything about them, and keep hearing that you can only really do basic web surfing and e-mail checking with them. So feel free to educate me on that front.

I meant a Netbook, a small laptop.

What you mentioned, should be fine for a netbook. A netbook is just like a laptop, except with less components. It might come with 1 or 2GB RAM, 120-250GB drive, no CD/DVD.

I had one myself, a ASUS 1005HB. Until I sold it to a friend. I could do nearly everything with it, except play graphic intensive games.

Yes, I know what a netbook is, I just don't know a lot about them. Someone had replied suggesting a tablet, but they must have deleted their post. Since you suggested that, I did some research on them and correct me if I'm wrong, but they are basically a simplified laptop, yes?

Looking on Newegg I'm seeing the Asus Eee (Newegg.com - ASUS Eee PC 1015PX-MU17-BK Black Intel Atom N570(1.66GHz) Dual Core 10.1" WSVGA 1GB Memory 250GB HDD Netbook) for the same price as the computer I was looking at earlier and with similar looking specs, with great reviews. The only negative I see is that it comes with Windows 7 Starter which, from what I have heard, sucks. What would my other OS options be with this? Also, how difficult would it be to upgrade the RAM to 2GB? I have never messed with the guts of a computer myself, but I have watched it done by several friends and have a small understanding of what's what.

As I said above, yes, it is a cut down laptop, essentially.

You can easily install any OS on it. All you need is an external CD/DVD or a USB flash drive. I ran Ubuntu on mine. Runs more smoothly than 7 HP that I originally put on it. Had XP when I first got it. The Linux route may be a bit hard for you if you are used to windows. But for what you are doing, it should be ready on first boot.

Edit: Oh, the memory is in that little compartment on the bottom of the laptop. Only one slot, though.

I've never used anything but Winsows, but I've been wanting to try a different OS and always hear good things about Ubuntu. Thanks for the help!

Ubuntu has most programs built in. OpenOffice or LibreOffice. Both of which can read and save as MS office files, .DOC for example. FireFox or Chrome as your browser. And other apps. Depends on version.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom