Help an idiot out! Is this laptop better than my old one?

Tech-Unsavvy

Beta member
Long story short, my old laptop is swimming with the fishes and I need a new one as soon as possible for work. I don't think my old one was top notch, but it did everything it needed to do, the most important being able to run adobe photoshop.

This was my old one:
https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-NP300E5C-A07US-15-6-Inch-Laptop-Black/dp/B00AC4P89C

and this is the one I'm looking to get:
Asus 15.6" Laptop - Intel Core i3 - 4GB Memory - 1TB Hard Drive Silver X540LA-SI30205P - Best Buy

The only problem is I look at specs and just see a jumbled, distorted mess. Along with mixed reviews, most leaning towards positive, I have no idea what to think.

Anyone here able to tell me if this is a solid purchase? Like I said, only need it for work with adobe photoshop CS 5 extended, which needs the following specs:

Adobe - Photoshop CS5 Extended System Requirements

Really helpless when it comes to computers, so appreciate the help! If anyone knows and better laptop deals out there (for 270 or under) I'd love to hear em!

Personally, I would tell you to shoot for an i5 processor from Intel instead of the i3. You'll get more longevity out of it, but you're not going to find one under $270, either. That being said, you had a second generation i3 and if it worked well for what you were using it for then this one will work just as well since it's a fifth generation and has only improved.

Check Newegg's refurbs for i5 laptops. You can find some really decent ones for a good price. I bought my MiL one for 300 with 8GB of RAM and an SSD.

Well, considering that the Asus comp is no longer available, the answer is clearly no.

But, the old comp has WIN8 on it so...

Yes, yes it is. Even an unavailable computer is better than a WIN8 comp!

Back
Top Bottom