Help with Computer from Dr.

dbonezone

Solid State Member
So, 4 months ago I got this laptop from my mothers Dr. He gave it me with 1 account on it not Administrator. The problem is can't update drivers and download things because I don't have administrative privileges.

Also, it has a group domain name. So I can't change that **** either for some reason.

Is there anything I can do, or is it just a work computer?
Can it be reset or get a account added.

What OS is it running and what are the specs? Post the brand/model if you're not sure of the specs.

Going to need the model, not just the product line (Latitude is a product line of models..post the model or just the service tag #).

Well, I'd say you have 2 options: 1) try to get it running by setting up an Admin user / removing it from the domain / install drivers OR 2) If you have the product key for the system, wipe the system and install drivers. Product key should be on a sticker on the computer case somewhere.

Option 1) Since it was a domain computer, I'm sure there's an Admin account on the machine - just hidden.

Firstly, try logging in as Admin without a password. After the Ctrl+Alt+Delete screen, you'll need to click "Other User" and then for the username type in ".\Administrator" (without quotes...take note of the .\ before the username). Then try to log in. If it lets you in, great we can proceed. If not, then we'll need to reset the local Admin password.

Option 2) Get the Win7 Pro x64 ISO from here:
[Legal Download: Windows 7 with SP1, 13 languages

Burn it to a disc or use Microsoft's USB tool to make a bootable USB.

Last edited:
When I tried to log on Ad this came up. "There are current no logon servers avaliable."

Latitude E6420, maybe??

That's because you're still trying to logon through the domain.

Are you trying to logon as the Admin, prefixed with ".\"? Also, that's assuming the Admin account is in fact "Administrator" and not called something else.

So..which route would you like to proceed with? Option 1 or option 2?

Last edited:
That's because you're still trying to logon through the domain.

Are you trying to logon as the Admin, prefixed with "./"? Also, that's assuming the Admin account is in fact "Administrator" and not called something else.

So..which route would you like to proceed with? Option 1 or option 2?

Yes, I was trying to logon the adminstrator account. I don't care, whichever option is easier. I do have the product key on the bottom.

Yes, I was trying to logon the adminstrator account. I don't care, whichever option is easier. I do have the product key on the bottom.

I posted the wrong prefix. It should be ".\" not "./", sorry about that. Went and edited my posts to reflect the change.

Same problem. Even tried to logon to computer, and not the domain.

Tried .\Administrator
Tried Domain .\Administrator

I'm try option 2 now. Currently DL files. Thanks for all your help bro. If I have any questions Ill message you or something, thanks.

Back
Top Bottom