Help ASAP! Stop in ACER logo. - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Laptops and Notebooks

Old 09-27-2016, 12:40 AM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default Help ASAP! Stop in ACER logo.

Hello, and good day. I am new here, but if this is the wrong area, please forgive me.

I'm an international student residing in South Korea, and currently having a peculiar problem with my laptop. Here is a few information on it.
Series : Acer Aspire 4750G-2332G50Mnkk
BIOS : Phoenix
Memory : 2GB RAM with 120GB Kingston SSD
Processor : Intel Core i3 2.1GHz (I think...)

This laptop has always been a loved possession of mine, but when my windows got updated, the visuals disturbed me a little bit so i chose "Restore to Previous Build" under the Recovery tab. But then, the screen turned black and when it boots, it stops at the Acer logo! It was supposed to go past Phoenix BIOS loading screen, but no, it just stops there... I tried pressing F2, F8, F10, F12, B, and tried rebooting it hundreds of times... But to no avail.

Two more :

1. I have tried opening it up and unplug the CMOS battery, wait for 3 to 5 mins, and then plug it back; releasing the battery and holding power button for u/to 15 secs.; rapid-pressing the F keys mention above before boot and then holding it till it boots, but to no avail.

2. I am aware the force reboot key combination of Ctrl + Alt + Del, but if I wait 20 seconds, that doesn't work. I mean, it just froze until i hit the power button.

3. No SSD or RAM problem after test... I think. Because I changed the HDD to SSD two months ago when I came back to my hometown.

Any help will be VERY MUCH APPRECIATED. This laptop has become the part of my life for 7 years and it would be very sad to part with it now, and since I'm a college overseas student, I can't afford to be off PC for a long time... Also, as I am veery far away from my home, it would be a predicament to try to find repairmen with certain expertise... and language to fully understand. But if I can, I will try to consult to an expert too, from time to time.
Thank you!!!

agung_muhdenivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 02:24 PM   #2 (permalink)
Night Ninja

Default Re: Help ASAP! Stop in ACER logo.

So, did the "Restore to Previous Build" finish what it was doing and then tried to reboot? If it lost power or failed to roll back, then the OS is probably hosed and you'll need to do a fresh install, which would be the easiest solution anyhow. You'll need the recovery media to do this with.

Old 09-27-2016, 05:23 PM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Hmm, OK, it didn't lose power, and looks like it's showing symptoms of a broken OS... I'll have to flash it, but unfortunately there's no specific howto on flashing 4750G's OS... What should I do?
Old 09-27-2016, 07:22 PM   #4 (permalink)
Monster Techie

My laptop just did the same last night, haven't used it in a while but it did a update and when it rebooted I just get a black screen, gets into bios but alt/ctrl del won't work on mine either, will be doing a fresh install in a few days myself, seems there is a bug in the latest update.

Antec 200 - I7-920 - ASUS P6T - Corsair TX650 it's old but still kicking like a mule
2-EVGA GTX 470 in SLI- ocz vertex 3 SSD 128 gig
Seagate Barracuda 1-TB - OCZ DDR3-1600 12 gigs 3x2
Keeps Me Happy :lol:

If I've been helpful, Please rep me
Dauntae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 08:56 PM   #5 (permalink)
Private Joker

Quote:
Originally Posted by agung_muhdenivan View Post
Hmm, OK, it didn't lose power, and looks like it's showing symptoms of a broken OS... I'll have to flash it, but unfortunately there's no specific howto on flashing 4750G's OS... What should I do?
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/soft...oad/windows10/

Create a bootable flash drive and reinstall the OS. You can choose to install over top of an existing Windows install without reformatting (if you have enough free space), so that it doesn't delete all of your documents/pics/etc. It will just put everything under C:\Windows.old and then reinstall a fresh copy of Windows over top of that. Then you can pull everything you want to keep out of the Windows.old folder, and then to get rid of the old Windows system files, just run Disk Cleanup + click the "Clean system files" button, and then check the box to clean up old versions of Windows.

If I help you, or you just like what I said, rep me by clicking the under my post
carnageX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 10:33 PM   #6 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnageX View Post
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/soft...oad/windows10/

Create a bootable flash drive and reinstall the OS. You can choose to install over top of an existing Windows install without reformatting (if you have enough free space), so that it doesn't delete all of your documents/pics/etc. It will just put everything under C:\Windows.old and then reinstall a fresh copy of Windows over top of that. Then you can pull everything you want to keep out of the Windows.old folder, and then to get rid of the old Windows system files, just run Disk Cleanup + click the "Clean system files" button, and then check the box to clean up old versions of Windows.
Forgot to mention that I've tried that using bootable thumb drive (formatted with FAT32) the same day, still didn't work. I still think that the BIOS has also been damaged somehow, so I figure out from research in internet that I need to to flash the BIOS.

What I mean is, inside the downloaded BIOS zip file from ACER official website, there has to be a file that should be renamed, right, in order to flash the BIOS? I just figured that out from many articles in the internet, but unfortunately no specific direction of which file in the DOS folder should I rename, and to what I should rename it...
Old 09-27-2016, 11:00 PM   #7 (permalink)
Private Joker

Can you get into the BIOS setup at all? If you can, have you tried "Reset to defaults" through the BIOS? (I know you already mentioned you tried resetting CMOS through unplugging the battery).

If I help you, or you just like what I said, rep me by clicking the under my post
carnageX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 08:41 AM   #8 (permalink)
Night Ninja

Quote:
Forgot to mention that I've tried that using bootable thumb drive (formatted with FAT32) the same day, still didn't work. I still think that the BIOS has also been damaged somehow, so I figure out from research in internet that I need to to flash the BIOS.
Personally, I've never seen a Windows update hose a BIOS. There have been some quirky things with a few updates on select models that required some changes to the BIOS, but nothing that actually corrupted the BIOS.

Quote:
What I mean is, inside the downloaded BIOS zip file from ACER official website, there has to be a file that should be renamed, right, in order to flash the BIOS? I just figured that out from many articles in the internet, but unfortunately no specific direction of which file in the DOS folder should I rename, and to what I should rename it...
Carnage may be able to answer this better than me, but Acer's BIOS update is meant to be run from within Windows and not from the BIOS. If you can't get past the BIOS screen, then you won't be able to update it. In addition, the latest BIOS update is from December of 2012, so it's nothing new that should be causing an issue all of a sudden.

You also shouldn't have to rename anything in those folders if you were going to run the update. Those files reference each other, and changing a file name would most likely result in the flashing of the BIOS failing and leaving you with a brick good only to hold down a stack of papers when it's windy.

If you're not able to boot to the flash drive, it's most likely that you need to change a BIOS setting to allow it to boot the flash drive. F12 should bring up the boot menu and as long as the flash drive is plugged in, you should be able to choose that drive to boot. If not, follow these instructions for assistance:

Why can't I get the F12 Boot Menu to work on my notebook or netbook?
Old 09-28-2016, 10:52 AM   #9 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightShadow View Post
Personally, I've never seen a Windows update hose a BIOS. There have been some quirky things with a few updates on select models that required some changes to the BIOS, but nothing that actually corrupted the BIOS.

Carnage may be able to answer this better than me, but Acer's BIOS update is meant to be run from within Windows and not from the BIOS. If you can't get past the BIOS screen, then you won't be able to update it. In addition, the latest BIOS update is from December of 2012, so it's nothing new that should be causing an issue all of a sudden.

You also shouldn't have to rename anything in those folders if you were going to run the update. Those files reference each other, and changing a file name would most likely result in the flashing of the BIOS failing and leaving you with a brick good only to hold down a stack of papers when it's windy.

If you're not able to boot to the flash drive, it's most likely that you need to change a BIOS setting to allow it to boot the flash drive. F12 should bring up the boot menu and as long as the flash drive is plugged in, you should be able to choose that drive to boot. If not, follow these instructions for assistance:

Why can't I get the F12 Boot Menu to work on my notebook or netbook?
Thanks a lot for the reply. Unfortunately that doesn't work too, I've tried to enter the boot setup by pressing F2 on the POST screen, but like I've said in the first part of the post, it doesn't work.

One more thing, there is an article of making my thumb drive into a crisis recovery disk by downloading CrisDisk.

http://aspiregemstone.blogspot.kr/20...overy.html?m=1

My BIOS is Phoenix, which I hear can be quite troublesome 'cuz they need some kind of a secure recovery capsule to recover it. So, Masters, can u give me ur opinions about this matter?

Once again, I'm very grateful that everyone answered actively. I am planning to take the laptop to the ACER repair center in Seoul, so I hope it won't be hardware problems, otherwise I would give up repairing my baby and buy a new one... And stick around with it till I come back home and repair it in winter.
Old 10-12-2016, 11:17 AM   #10 (permalink)
Monster Techie

Sometimes I get a similar issue to this and need to remove the CMOS battery and put it back in. Another thing I have tried in the past with pretty decent success rate is removing and reseating the ram. I don't know why that fixes boot issues but it does. First thing to try though is unplug from the wall and run on battery then hold the power button while the computer is booting or trying to for about 10 seconds until the computer powers completely off. keep holding it for another 10 seconds then power it back on. That will drain all the power out of the computer and allow it to boot cleanly

500GB WD 5000AAKX-001CA0
1.5 TB Seagate ST1500DM003
Zotac Geforce GTX 950 2GB GDDR5
Windows 10 Pro 64 bit
mikee is offline   Reply With Quote